Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Weaving a Pattern

I know that I have been missing a couple of days.  Due to weather issues and planning, work has been a bit crazy.  I have been pretty tired when I got home, so I have been "lazy."
But we were delayed going into work this morning so I spent that time putting warp yarn on my loom.  Yes I am weaving another scarf.
The request was for purple and red with just a bit of black.  I took yarn samples for her to see and got it approved.   I had two purples and two reds - she chose from those.

I was trying to figure out how this would work out. I was looking at some weaving forums and saw something that made me go "HUH?  How did they do that???"  The weaving technique name was in the text.  I had never heard of it though.  So more research turned up a "how it's done" article.

The technique is called a clasped weft or and interlocked weft.  Of course I had to try it. The great thing is that for this scarf it provided the answer to my question.
Do you see the zig zaggy design in the center area?  Do you notice that the red is rather solid as is the purple? Those things are the "magic" in this technique. All of a sudden I see "art weaving" coming up next on my horizon.
Tomorrow is a snow day - i.e. we are off work due to weather as the South is about to get blasted with a type of winter weather that is uncommon here.  I will be weaving and if I get done, I may work on a quilt also.

Peace to you all.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

10 comments:

Barbara Arcement said...

that is amazing...it will be a great scarf.
You do beautiful work
hugs
beebee

Barbara Arcement said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
suemac said...

Neat scarf. I was stuck at a hotel for my ice day today. I have cabin fever.

Pat Merkle said...

Absolutely LOVE it! Can't wait to see what more you do with this. Happy snow day!

sarah c said...

Great colors. Your work is lovely.

Teresa Quilts said...

I love the pattern I see developing in your scarf! Great job, Gene.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Amazing! I knew it wouldn't take you long to start creating "art weaving".

Barbara said...

This is really eye-catching, Gene. Art weaving is all I do on my frame loom, and coincidentally I've been playing with patterns as well. So please share the magic! I need all the help I can get. ;)

The Slow Quilter said...

Gene, you are a man with many talents, I love the weaving.

Beth said...

Wow! How do you do that? It looks really really complicated, but really cool. I am sure this has sent your mind soaring with ideas.