Friday, February 28, 2014

Floral Friday

 Since I have nothing to show but more quilting on the Wonky Nines quilt. I decided to show instead a bit of art.  And since this is Friday, I decided to make it Floral Friday so I could use alliteration in the title.

First off I will show you a watercolor that I painted soon after taking a class on painting flowers in watercolor.
Glorious Red
While the painting is titled "Glorious Red" in truth the flower is a multitude of colors. There is obviously red, but there is also some orange and even hints of blue and purple in the blossom.  I used a photograph of a hibiscus that I had taken as my model for this painting.

Next I will show you a  small art piece I made by fusing hand dyed fabric pieces onto a fabric background.
 I chose the colors for the rose based on some roses that I had grown in my front yard. The rose was named Rio Samba.  It was not only lovely but also had a delightful fragrance.  Sadly one year it was weakened and did not survive the winter.

And finally a simple tulip that I pieced -I think it was paper pieced but I am not certain.
Happy Friday to you.  Bloom with joy and brighten the day of those you meet.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

12 comments:

Lorraine said...

You are so talented. I love the fused fabric flower! I have to tell you that because of you, I started using the word Wonky. lol!

sarah c said...

Loving the colors. Harbinger of spring- Thanks for posting.

suemac said...

Love the Rio Samba. I too love fragrant roses.

Barbara Arcement said...

your watercolor is amazing.

so many talents!

thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures

Petit Design Co. said...

your hibiscus is stunning

Beth said...

Beautiful flowers. I sure did need that hint of color and warmth here in the frozen tundra.

Barbara said...

I so easily saw the additional colors in your watercolor, before you mentioned them. Beautiful. I as well have started to use your word, wonky! Lol I am so glad to see this post, it doesn't make me dizzy like wonky projects. ;)

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

Floral Friday is the perfect title, I can't wait to see spring flowers blooming. Your rose is my favorite, the colors are so bright and happy!

kathyinozarks said...

Happy floral friday Gene-and I love your flowers-just beautiful-do you have anything in mind for the pieced ones? I made my first hexagons this week-fun!

Patricia Lessell said...

Gorgeous malorgeous block and I'd bet my last dime that the block is paper pieced.

Jeanna said...

All wonderful pieces Gene. Your hibiscus painting is fantastic. Your fused piece is pretty too. I love the colors you choose for the rose.

I've never done any paper piecing but I have heard it creates perfect blocks.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Mary said...

I love the fused rose piece. It is wonderful that you have such pretty piece to remind you of the rose bush you lost.