Saturday, January 12, 2019

Classic Quilt Blocks- Unexpected Color Choices

Let's be honest here.  I have rarely made a lot of the classic quilt blocks. I am far more of an improv, or simple piecing kind of quilter.

I decided to try making some of the classic blocks. Perhaps this practice will come in handy for my first year as an Island Batik Ambassador.  We have challenges to make every month. So stepping out of my comfort zone is going to really be good for me.

Here are the three blocks that have come out from under my needle so far. I should mention that I tried an unusual color choice. 




Most of my points came out very nice.  That last block, not so much. I confess that I sewed it wrong more than once and spent quality time with Pointy the Seam Ripper.

So what do you think?  Orange and Purple?  Is it a color combo you would have thought to put together?  Do you find yourself surprised that you actually like it? (unless of course you hate it.)

Try sewing some blocks that you haven't tried before.  It is a great skill builder.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

13 comments:

Jeanna said...

I'm digging the purple and orange together. I've made a few samplers that required me sewing blocks I would normally avoid. Skill builders, indeed!

diane said...

Orange and purple are really cool together. And no I hadn't really thought about putting those two together. Enjoy the background fabric with the occasional orange. You'll do just fine with Island Batik and looking forward to seeing what you make for them.

Lyndsey said...

I have always loved orange and purple together, but it does depend on the exact shades. The blocks are great.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE IT!! Purple and yellow go together - so why not purple and orange? - ;))

Pamela Arbour said...

I love it so far. If your goal is to have a quilt by the end of the year, I think you are off to a great start with these fabrics. I think you will make a great Island Batik Ambassador.

Frog Quilter said...

I like it Gene. In my book anything and everything goes. So keep going on your fabulous journey!

Debbie said...

What??? You don't recognize the Clemson colors! National champs and still unnoticed. Purple and Orange are all you see around here lately. Your blocks look good, and the points are fine. Perfection is not a dream of mine :)

Barbara said...

I love purples, all shades, but not so much oranges. However, together they are interesting! It will be striking, but I’d probably never use that much orange in a pwhole quilt. The third block is my favorite, and my eye goes right to the smallest dots in the white fabric. I like those!

Barb Neiwert said...

It's orange and purple for the win!

Marlene said...

I LOVE the way you have combined orange and purple together. I am a sucker for bold, contrasting, and kapow colour.

lorrwill said...

These colors were 2018 Kona Cotton Color of the Year (Tiger Lily) and Pantone Color of the Year (Ultra Violet) and I love them together. But I like bold, unexpected and quirky combinations.

Vicki in MN said...

Your blocks look great. Will you have a hard time doing the 'Vintage' challenge for one of our Ambassador months?

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've seen orange and purple together many times. They compliment each other. Have fun making some traditional blocks.