Sunday, January 06, 2019

String Along - A Top is Born

After sewing ninety of the 6 1/2 inch string blocks, it was time to decide on a layout and just go with it.  I really liked the Four-patch that I had auditioned with the four similar blocks. So, I decided to use it as part of the design.  It is the only part that is different from the diagonal layout of the quilt.

I really love the way it looks.  There are so many different fabrics with only a few that repeat in a fairly consistent manner.

One fabric that is only in the quilt once showed up in the perfect place.  I promise that I didn't play this at all.

Can you see the yellow with the spider in it to the right of the diamond?  It is like the spider is crawling to the "web" created by the diamond.  That made me grin a lot when I saw it.

*** Cool hint: Save those triangles that you trim off when doing corners....they are  perfect for this type of block!

Now I have two quilts that need quilted pretty soon.
Have a great week.
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

13 comments:

diane said...

I like the addition of the block you added. Always nice to have a little something special for the eye. Enjoy seeing your quilt.
I made several string blocks and have a few of them trimmed and a couple sewn together. I decided to join in after reading the blogs of those that were doing it. Sometimes I need mindless sewing. Did them on the treadle machine as it's the only sewing machine in the living room and that way I can be with hubby and sew at the same time. He likes the sound of the treadle and can't believe it's so quiet. Plus I like the feel of the treadle.

Vicki W said...

Great solution!

Debbie said...

I love this layout! String quilts should have their own voice and any element of surprise makes them even better. Great solution.

Jeanna said...

The extra design element makes this an even more unique strings quilts. I love it!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

But what happened to the rectangles?!?! - Just kidding - LOL. I LOVE the diagonal layout - with the one diamond block off-center - but my favorite is the little spider. He makes me smile - ;))

Barb said...

Turned out fantastico....love it.

Rhonda said...

Wow, your top looks great. I love the scrappiness.

Barbara said...

This is awesome! When I enlarged it, I actually got a little dizzy trying to follow the flow to the left, it has movement! The spider is perfect, and perfectly placed. It’s unique, I love it! Aren’t these mindless projects fun?

Susie H said...

Very nice, Gene. Love the look of your layout. I'm also stringing along with Moda. I'm using Bonnie Hunter's String-X free pattern! So fun!

ShirleyC said...

That's what I can an "eye catcher"! Great idea!

Barb H said...

It's the perfect layout for all the string blocks! Well done!

Barbara said...

I’m looking again as I muddle through re-thinking the layout for my own string blocks, and I find my response is not as disoriented as the first time. However, it occurs to me that the four patch placement is extremely important. Not only does it give your cute spider a destination, but it provides the viewer with a most important focal point.

Carla said...

Your string blocks look great. The layout is very unique with the placement of that diamond. Love that spider. Can't wait to see it quilted, I'll bet it really comes to life.