Tuesday, January 22, 2019

More Fun Blocks

The method I was using for the pinwheels was not making me happy.  Thus, I decided to make different blocks.  The pinwheel blocks will still be used in the quilt, but I have to decide how I will use them.

The new blocks came about after I messed up an attempt to find another way to make pinwheels.  Let me just say I wasn't quite ready to start making 3D blocks- and those were 3D.   Some quality unsewing, frogging, seam ripping helped. But what to do with the pieces at this point? I had what was essentially two triangles that made a half square.  But if I just sewed them together each color was beside its like color....Hmmmmm.

What is that old saying? If life hands you lemons, you make lemonade.  I have no clue if this is a traditional block but until I learn better, I call it "Lemonade Squared."

After making the first one "the hard way,"  I figured out the easy way to make the block.  I used my Accuquilt Quarter Square cutting die that makes a 4 inch finished block.  I sewed two of the pieces together on the sides to make a half square triangle. Then I used those  triangles to sew to the sides of a square.  It makes a "Square in a Square" but with fancy corners.

These blocks are fun and easy for me to make. But the best part is that every one of them has come out great every time.  I may take a pinwheel and trim it from 5 1/2" down to 5" and use those as centers.  It will use up the pinwheels and add a few surprise blocks into the final quilt.

I am wondering if any of you do what I call "experimental piecing" as you make quilt blocks.  As my longtime readers know,  I love to say "what if????" ---and of course give it a try.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

9 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

"Lemonade Squared" is a great name - and I like your blocks! "Experimental piecing" sounds much better than "Oops - how the heck did that happen?" - LOL. I remember once cutting a bunch of QST and sewing them in sets of two for half of an Hourglass Block - only to realize that - if I sewed two halves together - they would all be next to the "same" fabric. Then - "what if" - I unsewed some of them and re-sewed them together down the "other" side. Those came out the way I wanted them to in the first place. You can probably tell that my seam ripper is always handy - and that I "experiment" a lot - ;))

Jeanna said...

Your 'what ifs' are always magnificent and this one is no exception. How fun!

Barbara said...

I must leave the experiments to you, Gene. I like your reworked version of pinwheels, and now I see many center spaces for some of your expert embroidery!

Barb said...

I love to experiment...one of my most fun things to do. I love your block!

Sherry said...

Your block looks very much like an "oldie" pattern called Sugar Bowl.

The coloring might be a little different from what I remember but it is a great use of "spare" parts.

I enjoy reading about your experiments.

Quilting Gail said...

What a great name! And I loved reading about how your block came about!

(Apparently when I reply to blogger - it comes out as "no reply." And I don't see an option to change that.
quiltinggail@yahoo.ca

Linda Swanekamp said...

Nice blocks, great sewing!

Kathleen said...

I love your Lemonade Block!! Looking forward to see how or if you combine these with your pinwheels. I love your fabric choices for both.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cool block! I use Triangulations to make my HST's, then put them together to make pinwheels. I've made lots of pinwheels over the years.