Monday, January 21, 2019

Playing with Pinwheels and Dual Feed


The weather is very cold here in Alabama.  At least we think it is cold!  Monday morning I woke up to a BRRRRR temperature of 22 degrees Fahrenheit.   Luckily,  my heat is working fine and I didn't have to get out except for one trip in the middle of the day. 

I decided to just play for a bit.  After watching a tutorial from Missouri Star on making pinwheels, I decided to try that method.  I pulled out a charm pack of bright lively prints and some solids.  There is a lot of the charm pack left, but I am not sure I want to make enough of these for an entire quilt.
Perhaps I can do some other blocks too and have a fun scrappy unplanned quilt.

Another fun thing that I tried is "walking foot quilting."  I watched a class on BluPrint with Jackie Gering to learn the basics.   My Janome 6600 machine doesn't have an actual walking foot, but it does have an integrated dual feed which is just as good.
A few curved lines and  a few straight lines later,  I realized that this could be very useful for some of my quilting.

That gives me three options for quilting methods:  free motion quilting, ruler quilting, and walking foot quilting. 

If it stays this cold who knows what I will try next.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Brrrr - that's too cold for me!! Your pinwheels look good - but I'm not a fan of bias edges on the outside of the block. Even if it IS pressed with Best Press - they're still bias edges - LOL. And "walking foot quilting" is all we had back in the "olden" days unless we wanted to "tie" a quilt - way before FMQ became the norm. Funny how the "old way" is "new" again - ;))

Frog Quilter said...

Pretty pinwheels. It's cold here too and my heater is cranking.

Barbara said...

I guess we all can adjust to whatever temps we have. Ours was low single digits Sunday night, and our furnace stopped working late Saturday. We got through the day on Sunday, then a lot of blankets and two kitties kept us warm until yesterday morning when it was fixed.
I like your colorful pinwheels a lot. I’m sure you will find an interesting place for them in a surprise quilt!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, it is three here, but the sun is out making it look bareable. Love pinwheels. Somewhere, I have a double pinwheel pattern that would look great mixed in.

Jeanna said...

Love the colors in your pinwheels. Do you think you will sash them, include cornerstones?

Barb said...

I did'nt know brothers had this option. Do you leave it on the whole time like in the Pfaff? The only time I take it off dual feed is to free motion quilt. I love that about the pfaff.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

It was -14 degrees when I woke up this morning. High of 10 degrees today. Wed will be a high of -10 degrees, with a low of -18 to -24 degrees. I'll trade temps with you ;) PS: I'm making your peanut butter frosting this afternoon. I needed something warm and comforting to eat.