Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Another Quilt Finished!

From the UFO stack to the finished stack -and yes it has a label.

This quilt started in March of 2016. The block sections were piece and quilted for a class on what was then Craftsy.  The class is Free Motion Quilting Essentials by Christina Cameli.   Classes with Christina really improved my quilting.


I got the side pieces attached and started to cut the binding when I realize that there wasn't enough of any of the fabrics I had to do the full binding.  So I opted to do a pieced binding with three fabrics. One is a blue, one is a red on white print and the last one is a yellow batik from Island Batiks.  I think it came out great.



The color isn't true on either of the above photos although I did try to correct it.
The back of this quilt is almost as fun as the front.
I choose to back the added borders with a combination of fabrics from the front and the back since I had small pieces of all of them.  You can see some of the piecing from the front shining through onto the back in this photo. The sun was really bright.

I had recently ordered some labels from Border City Quilts on Etsy.   She has several options to choose from.  I got forty of these sew on labels and I love them.

These labels are backed with a laminate to prevent fraying so I simply stitched around it to attach it.  If I had gotten them before I bound the quilt I would have had one edge sewn in the binding....but I can do that next time (if I remember in time!) At least now I can label my quilts quickly.

Oh yes, these photos are after the quilt was washed and dried in the dryer. So, I know that the label will hold up to the usual machine care.

This quilt makes me so happy with the bright colors and fun quilting. I also love the scrappy binding as it just adds a bit more to the "happy circus" of color in this quilt.


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

10 comments:

Vicki W said...

It's terrific! Love the borders on both sides.

Frog Quilter said...

I LOVE this quilt. Fabulous colors and great quilting.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Me, too! I LOVE this quilt - your choice of colors - your fabulous quilting and the scrappy binding! Those labels look great - I'll have to check them out - thanks for sharing - ;))

Pamela Arbour said...

You did a great job on everything! Congratulations on another finish.

Debbie said...

Great looking quilt and finish. Love the new labels too.

Barb said...

This quilt is definitely you....and I love the label...the quilt is so fun and whimsical.

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Gene!
I agree that Christina Cameli helps to improve free motion quilting! Your quilting is great! And I LOVE scrappy bindings ... they do add a bit of interest to the quilt without saying "Look at me." Wonderful quilt!
quiltinggail@yahoo.ca

Barbara said...

Simply gorgeous! The blues are perfect, and the label is as well!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I really like this quilt - it is so unique and original! love the colors your chose!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Fun quilt!