Sunday, September 01, 2019

Preparing Binding

After a nice weekend with a friend,  it was time to get back in the saddle and do some sewing. Actually, this was simple sewing but first a lot of cutting.  I am making a flanged binding for my string quilt.  So I calculated the perimeter and decided that 250 inches would be plenty to go around it and have a nice tail on each part for joining the binding.   To cut the main color, which is 1 1/2" wide, I used my AccuQuilt Go! cutter with the 1 1/2" strip die.  But for the other color, I needed 2 inch strips. I had to cut those with the ruler and rotary cutter.

I joined each set into a nice long strip. Then I pressed all the seams flat.  Next I sewed one very long seam to join them.  Okay, so it would have been one seam, but the bobbin ran out and had to be refilled about 4/5 of the way through.  Next I pressed that seam toward the smaller strip.  That is so that it won't be in the fold on the next step.  Finally, I pressed the binding strip in half and rolled it into a (somewhat) neat bundle.
I chose to use the backing fabric as the outer binding and have a burgundy flange for a real pop of color.  Once I trim this quilt, I will put on the binding.
Front
Back
Yes it could have been finished in August, but life was too busy and I didn't have a lot of free time to sew. But it will be a September finish with any luck!

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

Kathleen said...

That's a lot of flanged binding! But you know it goes on fast and looks great so there is a bonus.

Pamela Arbour said...

Your quilt looks great! Looking forward to seeing the binding on there. You know, the bobbin always runs out when you are almost finished! LOL

Barbara said...

Beautiful quilting, and a great color choice for the backing and binding! I have no idea how a “flange” will enter the picture, I never learned that. I’m looking forward to seeing it finished!

Debbie said...

Love your color combo for the binding! This is going to be great. Enjoy the process, the journey is the goal. I never win races:)

Frog Quilter said...

So pretty!!! Love it and hope it used lots of scraps.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I will patiently wait to see the quilt bound. Great idea to use flanged binding!
Carol

Barb said...

My sisters like to do that kind of binding but I have yet to try it. Will look AWESOME

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

That quilt is one of my favorites! The flanged binding will look GREAT - ;))