Monday, September 09, 2019

UFO - Moving Forward



Most quilters have UFOs (UnFinished Objects.)  This quilter is no different.  For a weekend at a friend's house, I grabbed a bag with what I thought was one particular unfinished project. When I arrived and opened the bag, it was a different project.  But I am happy that I grabbed the "wrong" bag.  This one is a quilt that was in five sections that needed joining together.  All the necessary fabrics were also in the bag (yaaay!)

You can read some of the backstory on this quilt here
One of the five sections
The reason that I did this in sections is that it makes quilting much easier on a domestic machine.  I have to say that I think this may be some of the best quilting I have ever done. I join these using the method in Maguerita McManus' book "Quilt As You Go -reimagined"   It is my favorite 'quilt as you go' technique.



I have a lot of quilting designs in this one quilt.   
When I got it all joined together, I realized why it had become a UFO.  You see it is an odd size - long and narrow.
So I said to myself,  "Okay fellow, you know you can come up with a solution to this. Think!"  Adding side borders seemed pretty obvious at this point. So I took leftover pieces of the blue, red, yellow and lavender and made 3" borders for each side.  "Hmmm..." I said,   "Fellow, those are going to be a royal pain in the patootie to quilt at that size. Back to the drawing board."  I looked at the leftover fabric, and did some calculating and decided the blue would look nice added to it.
So I sewed 2 1/2" strips of blue to the sides of the piano key borders. Here is what it will look like eventually.

I will probably bind it in red or yellow - depending on what I have enough of in my stash.  I think this quilt looks like it belongs in a circus - because of the bright red, blue and yellow colors.  But that is okay, I like it that way.

If you missed my September Post "The Absurd Bird" please go to see it.

Linking up with The Inquiring Quilter.
Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

A typically Gene Black quilt was born regardless of being unplanned. It has your style all over it! Love it!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Haha - I have one just like that - well, "almost" - I did mine in primary colors and it's "almost" all quilted - now where did I put it? - LOL - ;))

Frog Quilter said...

Your quilting looks fabulous. I should try that method...

Vicki W said...

Oh wow, the border is really going to make that quilt special!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

What a happy accident that you picked up the wrong bag. This looks wonderful, and I think you've found the perfect way to make it the size you want. Love your quilting. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Kathleen said...

That drives me nuts, but you turned it into a fun mistake bringing the wrong bag. I'm glad it had a sewing project in it. Great job on the quilting and the solution to making it work for you.

Jeanna said...

I'll have to check out your link for QAYG. I've not attempted that yet but I'm going to start playing around with FMQ on my Janome soon.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Good fox for the long skinny quilt.