Saturday, September 07, 2019

Child's Play -The Absurd Bird - Island Batik

Welcome to my take on the Island Batik Ambassadors' September Challenge.   We were challenged to make a juvenile inspired quilt using Island Batik Fabrics and an Accuquilt Block on Board die that was supplied to us in our July shipment.  The block I received is the Accuquilt Spiderweb 6" finished die.
Confession time - I saw this die and said "What can I make with that except a Halloween quilt???!?!"  So I was determined that my quilt would not be overtly "halloween."  I wish that I were a writer of children's books.  You see after lots of playing with ideas and what ifs, and Electric Quilt designing software, I saw a full fledged character.   He needs a book to tell his story.
 May I present to you------The Absurd Bird!
In my mind, he is a type of super hero, although just a bit off kilter. 

I had a wonderful time using the Spiderweb die
and the wonderful bundle of Island Batik fabrics - Electric Desert - designed by Jackie Kunkel. 

I cut lots of pieces using the Spiderweb die.

Then I sewed several spiderweb sections. 
And I constructed the bird's face.

As you can see, the entire rectangle that makes his face is all "spiderweb" blocks. 
I cut his spiky "hair" with another Accuquilt Go! half square triangle die. 
I used that same die for his beak/neck.   
Then I used other dies to make his body and wings and the top and bottom "slanted checkerboard." 
For the outer borders, I used strip dies and a small tumbler die. 

The bird really wanted to fly around and play. So we went to a local park where he 
enjoyed the kids playground. 

Then the Absurd Bird went to a small dogwood tree to rest for a bit. 
 But the sun was very strong and hot here in Alabama on an early September day,
 so we decided to go home.

But here are a few more pictures - just in case you haven't seen enough just yet. 
Tumblers in the outer border.
Fun quilting textures
More texture in the quilting

 For now, the Absurd Bird wishes you happy quilting and lots of smiles. 

Note:
Quilt Details:  Designed, Pieced and Quilted by Gene Black.
Quilt Size: 44" by 61"
Batting: Hobbs Heirloom Cotton
Fabrics: Island Batik
Thread: Aurifil.

The fabrics, batting, cutting die and thread were supplied to me at no cost as an Island Batik Ambassador.       



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

14 comments:

Dot Moore said...

I love this quilt. Some child is going to be lucky to get this as a gift. Colors are perfect. Great job, Gene.

Vicki W said...

Seriously, this is one of my favorite quilts you have made. I LOVE this bird! It absolutely needs a story to go with it.

Barbara said...

Wow! I’ve been waiting! He is wonderful! Takes me back to some of the odd dolls I made years ago. I can’t relate to the dies and cutter, but I always love those fabrics. I can see your imagination got an incredible workout, and putting it together was a LOT of work, but SO worth it!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW!! - That was DEFINITELY worth the wait!!! You have been teasing this one for a while - and it is SO CLEVER!!! You should submit the pattern to Accuquilt - I bet you'd sell a bunch of them - and they'd sell the dies that are needed to make it - ;))

Kathleen said...

What a totally fun idea! At first, I was wondering where those spider webs were, but then I saw them. I would love to hear the absurd bird's story!

Anita said...

You made a super fun quilt, your Absurd Bird is beautiful!

Angie said...

Mr Absurd Bird is awesome! I really like him alot, and his description! Amazing colors as well!! Island Batik has cool colors! You make wonderful quilts!! Enjoy your day!! angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

Anne Wiens said...

I think you should consider giving this quilt to your favorite elementary school teacher, so Absurd Bird can become the superhero of a creative writing project.

Karen said...

Such an imagination you have, Gene. This is brilliant!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

He's cute!

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

I love Absurd Bird and his adventures. Very creative, and great use of the spider webs without going halloween. I always enjoy your projects. :)

Sally said...

What a fun 'out of the box' quilt! That bird just has character plus!

Pamela said...

What a different (and fun!) way to use the spiderweb die. Cute!

Sandra Walker said...

This is a really fun quilt! You definitely must write a little story for him!