Sunday, September 22, 2019

Improv Mania

For several years I have used improv piecing as a way to feed my creative soul.  I make chunks of fabric and put them aside for "later."  It is a great way to try out techniques, use up scraps and just have something to do without having to plan or feel like you need to finish.

Then the day comes when you say - "Let me see if I can sew all of these together."  And then proceed to do so.  (Honesty moment:  okay, not all of them - but some of them.)  After getting a bunch of pieces into one larger piece,  what next? 

I added borders. Here is how it ended on this occasion.
My plan (right now anyway) is to quilt this section and then to square it up. It isn't square at all right now. I discovered that as I was folding it to put away for the day.  Later, I will add more pieces and put them around this section to make it larger.  Of course, time can change plans and ideas.  So for now, this is "fermenting and growing" for a while.

Do you leave pieces to mature until the idea blossoms into a sure plan?  Would you consider that a valid method for working? 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

3 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Q - Do you leave pieces to mature until the idea blossoms into a sure plan?
A - Ummmmm - have you seen my list of UFOs? - Some are still "maturing" - LOL - ;))

Q - Would you consider that a valid method for working?
A - Absolutely! I like having a variety of projects sitting around. I can play with whatever suits my fancy on any given day - depending on my mood - and I don't have to FINISH it - if I don't feel like it. I can always put it away again to mature some more - until next time - ;))

Barbara said...

Oh my! A “ one of a kind” if there ever was one! My eyes need time to readjust now. Lol! Although I don’t have any pieces or UFOs, anything that gets work done is valid!

Frog Quilter said...

Wait till you see my stacks of MAM blocks. They are out of control and in need of being put into a top.