Friday, March 26, 2021

A Little Update

I have been very negligent with this blog lately.  So here is what is currently going on in my world.  

Yesterday, here in Alabama - as well as other places,  we had a very bad weather day. Tornadoes ripped across the state causing a lot of damage in some areas.   I was fortunate that my home and those of my loved ones in the area were spared any major damage.  It was a scary day.  

I have been working most recently on making a set of placemats.  These are pieced and done in the "leave a turning area open" manner.    Two of them are quilted and two are waiting to be quilted. 
But before being quilted the turning spot and the rest of the edge is sewn closed.  It is at that point that I inserted my label.

This photo also shows the backing - and the fact that my stitching on the edge is not perfect. 

You know you are a quilter when you are watching mindless video and the thing that catches your eye is a log cabin block used in decor. 
This episode was made in 1972.  The seventies were the start of the quilting revival in the USA.  I love the way these were used as set decor.  It "normalized" the use of quilted items as home decor.  You may notice that the pillows do not match. Also the one on the left looks like it was truly used prior to being on camera.  (These are the places my mind goes - sometimes I lose the plot of a show when I see quilts or quilted items. ) 



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

9 comments:

Jeanna said...

Very grateful that you and your loved ones were spared from the horrible storms. I thought of you when I heard the news. Most of my people are in south AL so they are fine, too. Love your placemats. Covering the closing space with a label is "Gene-ious" :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for letting us know that you safely weathered the storm, Gene! Those placemats are turning out well. Will you be joining the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge on my blog this weekend? Placemats are included along with runners, toppers, and even mug rugs. :o))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

So glad to hear that you and your loved ones did not suffer any major damage in the storms! Your placemats look TERRIFIC- and your stitching is perfectly imperfect - as it should be - ;))

Pamela Arbour said...

Love your placemats. Good job. I need to make more. Thanks for the encouragement to make placemats.

Vicki W said...

This is the second placemat post that I've seen today which is a sigh that I need to make some new ones for myself!

Quilting Gail said...

Lovely placemats, Gene!

Sandra Walker said...

Bahaha! Totally with you on the losing your place in the show due to quilted items! And freezing the film on THE frame so you could zoom in!

Kathleen said...

Glad you are ok! What a mess this weather has been...and fun to find that TV gem!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I watched Bewitched all the way thru a few years ago, and I remember those pillows in that episode. Nice placemats.