Friday, March 18, 2011

Adventures with Zippers

Like a number of quilters, I have been totally terrified to try putting in a zipper.  I have used just about every other closure method I can find to avoid using a zipper. 


Spring forward to March 4th:  My friend Tonya posted a video showing how she puts in a zipper when she makes a coin purse. I watched it and thought "hey, I can do that!" 
So I ordered a few zippers.  They came in and I let them sit. Finally, a couple of nights ago, I cut some fabric.  Then I took one of the zippers and had a go at it.   I did not follow Tonya's method exactly. (I needed to watch that video a few more times to cement all the steps in my head!)  But guess what?  It worked!  
I made this little zippered bag. 
It has a zipper that works just fine.  I am amazed at how good it looks too. The bag is reasonably straight and has a nice boxed bottom.  It sits upright without being propped.  Yaay!  
Thanks Tonya, you are T-riffic! 




10 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Yippiee!!

Barbara said...

Zippers were once intimidating for me too, but doing a couple helped. I still avoid them because I don't like to do them, but at least I know I can. Yours looks great!

Pat said...

I need to get some zippers and try it soon, too.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Great job! Thanks for the link - I will have to view the video later.

Barb said...

Awesome!!!!

free indeed said...

I just finished a purse with my first zipper as well. The instructions were very good (it was a lazy girl design.) I watched Tonya's video too and did get a boost of confidence from it...

sewfunquilts said...

Well, us 'older quilters' have sewed for decades and when making clothes, always used zippers..so no big deal to us. BUT...to new quilters, they do present a challenge. You did a fabulous job! Congrats.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I couldn't believe that Tonya made that bag in 10 minutes. Your zipper is absolutely perfect Gene!

Micki said...

I love putting zippers in and have done it since I was a kid. Yours turned out great! They are so much fun when making purses.
Micki

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Great job! I love making little pouches. When I started making them I didn't know zippers were supposed to be hard or scary so I just jumped right in. I found a couple tutorials online that I understood and have made many zipper pouches since. They are great for using up small pieces of wonderful fabric that I don't want to just shove in a drawer.