Saturday, March 26, 2011

American Indian Kaleidoscope


American Indian Kaleidoscope 
Quilt blocks using an American Indian inspired tribal fabric. This really appeals to my sense of my own Cherokee heritage.
I was looking for some fabric for a different technique when I found this fabric. Both blocks are made from the same piece of yardage. The look is totally different though.
I made these using the Marti Michell ruler. The first time I used this ruler I had a big wad of disaster sewn up all nicely. I threw the piece in the garbage in disgust. The ruler was hung out of the way. ("yeah, I probably won't be doing that again - oh the wasted money for that ruler" , I thought.)

Things change, we develop better sewing skills and (if we are - smart, brave or maybe stupid) we try again. I am glad I tried again. I am thinking of making two more of these and making a table runner or maybe make a BIG four patch out of them and stick it in the middle of a lap quilt. Only time will tell.

If you are looking for the entry for the zipper pouch, go to the March 23rd post and comment there. It ends tonight (Saturday 3/27)

I just saw that another blogger is taking her ZenTangle doodles and making art quilts.
I have a few that I could do that with.  How about this one?

Angel with Attitude

or maybe this one?
ATC Bird
I am not exactly sure how to do it though.

9 comments:

Pokey said...

These are so great, Gene. Good fabric selections, too!

Pat said...

These are very nice, Gene. What kind of Marti Michell ruler is that? It it some kind of wedge ruler?

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! These are stunning! I love the idea of using them in a table runner, so people will be sure to see them in all their beaurty!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Wow! Love how different they look.

Pat said...

Good idea to do the Zentangle doodles as art quilts....although I'd have no clue how to do it as it looks to be very difficult. I'm partial to the second doodle you showed above.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

The blocks are amazing. They would make wonderful placemats if big enough. I like the bottom zentagle - reminds me of a hummingbird.

Bunny said...

Wonderful blocks love the colors too. Love the doodles too. You could print them on fabric. You have to treat the fabric with bubble jet the press the fabric to freezer paper to fit your printer and voila print then add them to a quilt. You can print them on plain colored fabric or white or muslin. Have fun.

Barb said...

I saw this too on a blog and so loved it....yours are wonderful as well.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I love your Kaleidoscope pieces. And I hope you do make an art quilt out of one of those. It will probably be yet another long learning process...but you'll get it eventually. (This is what I am always telling myself.)