Saturday, March 05, 2011

Sewing and Digitizing.

I am sure some of you are wondering what I have been up to lately.  I haven't posted in a couple of days.  So here is what is going on.  I had this idea that I wanted to make happen. So I ordered something necessary.  If you read the entire post you will find out ....be patient. I had to wait for it to arrive. I was almost patient. 


Meanwhile, I sewed all of these:


They need ironing and a few threads still need clipped. But they are for the AccuQuilt GO! Quilt Along that I am doing. These will turn into block two. Actually they will make two of block two. 


Then yesterday the big brown truck delivered THIS:




I was very excited because I have never done machine embroidery. I was worried that the 4" by 4" embroidery field wouldn't be big enough to make me happy. I didn't know how much I would really use it,  so I didn't want to break the bank buying a top of the line one just yet.  Now I am thinking the size of the field is big enough for me  until I decide and can afford to move up. 


Last night I stitched out this:




Kokopelli the flute player - although to me he is playing a penny whistle. Ha ha. Among other things, he represents the spirit of music.


Then this morning I sat at the computer and digitized this design, then I sewed it out.




In case you don't recognize it, that is the outline of my home state, Alabama. 
Don't be too critical of my samples of embroidery.  I sewed them on un-ironed scrap cloth.  I wasn't very patient and just had to try it, right at the moment. (Okay, so if you skipped the text and scrolled down to see the pictures first I forgive you.  I am not really very patient either.)


I am hoping to use the State outline and do some logos for work.  Perhaps I can even earn enough money to buy one of those top of the line embroidery machines! 





13 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

Congratulations on your new toy!

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

Gene, I think that's the machine I got in January, from Costco. I haven't used it yet but I will (better!) soon. Congratulations!

Linda

Pat said...

Looks like you got the hang of that machine right away. I'm sure we will see great things from you with this!

VickiT said...

Congratulations on moving into your next new adventure. You will have SO much fun. I know you didn't want to break the bank, but had you asked me (ha, as if *I* am even on your radar) I would have told you to get something that had the capability of doing larger than the 4x4 emb. field. You have a new learning curve to get past now and that is the world of all the different stabilizers that are a must for machine embroidery and which fabric and when to use each one. That is probably the hardest part of learning machine embroidery for anyone I've ever spoken to. Threads magazine did an excellent article about stabilizers. It's possible you have already been told about this and don't need it but it's here if you haven't read much about stabilzers... http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4631/making-sense-of-stabilizers Then too, besides the stabilizers, is the different needles you will need to learn about for embroidery since you don't use regular needles either. And then the next thing I will say and last, unless you ask is to read the 'terms of use' in each embroidery design you obtain. Those are all over the map as far as what a digitizer will/will not allow you to do with their designs. Some are very nice and allow use of their designs on items for sale and others are so extremely restrictive they won't even allow you to change the colors in their designs. Most do however, have all this in the 'TOU' which should be in the zip file. Along the same lines of that are copyrights,patents, and trademarks are all things like sports teams, even their names. Sports are totally off limits to put on anything to sell. They are very strict in their use but there are places to purchase thier teams logos that are legal and even then you can't use them to sell items you've made with them. Believe it or not, even "Roll Tide" which I know you are probably very familar with living in Alabama is trademarked so you can't even put that on anything you make to sell. Then you have pretty much anything like Disney designs and popular things like that; cannot use those type things on anything but for your own use.

I bought my first embroidery machine in 2004 and have absolutely LOVED having it. My machine is discontinued now but, it's one of the best Husqvarna Viking sold so I am in no hurry to get rid of it. Even when I buy my next machine I will keep this machine.

I'll shut up now before you tell me to go away. :) Anyway, you will love machine embroidery once you get past that learning curve. It is SO much fun and putting that together with quilting can make some amazing looking quilts too. HAVE FUN! I can't wait to see more of your creations.

Barb said...

Soooooo fun for you....another toy, one that you will adapt to very easily.....have fun!

Tangos Treasures said...

Love your new toy!! That looks like total fun!! Good for you!!

Barbara said...

Another piece of equipment that you will learn to make sing and dance to your own music! I can't wait to see what you turn out. I know it will not be like anyone else's. In fact, fact I'm counting on that!

Frummie said...

I love my embroidery machines. Ihave never tried to digitize though. I am sure will love it.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I am sure you will love it. I found I didn't use mine enough..and I needed a good sewing machine...and mine had some major issues. Just do your homework before you buy!

ooglebloops said...

I have always wanted an embroidery machine- I have several regular vintage sewing machines, a vintage Featherweight, and a Pfaff, but never an embroiderer. May have to look into this!! The kokopelli is the perfect signature for you!!!

Sarah said...

Oh look at you with a fancy new embroidery machine! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it, but be sure to leave the house periodically :)

Melissa ;-) said...

Gene, I am not very patient, either. But that is how you learn! I have read and been recommended a 1001 ways to make embroidery perfect and all I can say is, you gotta learn how you and your machine communicate best! Looks good to me!

SewCalGal said...

I think this is a great new path for you. Glad to see you pursue it. If you are interested in digitizing a redwork project for a designer, let me know. I'm compiling a list of digitizers for him now. I also digitize, but don't want to get into the business of being a professional digitizer vs play.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com