Tuesday, March 08, 2011

LCQA Block 10 and ScrapBusting Wisdom.

This evening I saw the blog post for the latest block in the Layer Cake Quilt Along.  I am shocked that this is block 10 already. There are 12 blocks in the Quilt Along so we are getting very close to the end. 
This block designed by Kari Ramsay is called Fresh Flower.  The block was fairly simple and straightforward to make.  I really like this one set on point so I photographed it that way. I know that it won't be on point in this quilt. So perhaps I will make a similar block to set on point in another piece. Here is my block:
I used two greens instead of one, just to add a little variation. You know I don't like to be to much like everyone else! Ha ha. 

As I was making this block I used some of my scrap cut pieces as leaders and enders.  I learned that I need to do a bit of "pre-work" on that stack. If I had the pieces already paired up in light dark sets, I could grab them more easily to use.  That sounds like a great job to do while watching a movie or TV, don't you think?  I am only looking at the contrast on these, I am NOT concerning myself with color.  In a really scrappy quilt, color is secondary to contrast. If the contrast is good, the quilt will be eye catching. I learned that lesson by reading Wanda's blog -Exuberant Color.  With a name like that I would find it hard to resist! 

More on the scrap busting - It is okay to just sew some of those pieces together when  just want to sew and not think too much.  The thinking can come later when you put it together into a quilt. I am thinking of using some of my half square triangles with the 4 inch blocks to make stars. 
Here is one possibility:
Of course mine would be scrappy.  Using the 2 1/2" squares and HSTs along with a 4 1/2" square for the center this will make an 8" finished block.  There are lots of variations on this idea.  
I am so glad I got started on my scrap busting project. 

5 comments:

Barb said...

I am so impressed that you have been keeping up....that is something that I have trouble doing sooo good for you and the block looks awesome.

Pamela Kieffer said...

Enjoyed reading your blog. Love scrappy quilts. I have been quilting since 1978 so I have oodles of scraps. Glad this is the "in thing"

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your LCQA block looks wonderful. I will be making mine today. Scrappy stars would be a perfect for scrap busting. You always come up with the best ideas.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Need some scraps to bust? LOL

Kelly

Pat said...

Nice block...not sure how I missed this post when you did it, but I did miss it...and now I found it! I'm going to watch your binding tutorial again....need to do that on a project today.