Saturday, March 12, 2011

Scrappy HST become Stars

I have been having some fun today.  We started off with a trip to the grocery store. Since I am at a friend's house, it is a store I don't always get to shop at - it was fun.  I got a few things I can't get at my store. 


Then  we went to the Guatemalan store for a couple of items. I love shopping there. The store has no pretense and the staff is so friendly.  Then we had lunch at a Mexican restaurant that is always good. Items on the menu are not interpreted so it is always fun to go "I wonder what that is?"  The waitress is Latina but she was clearly raised in the USA.  I had to ask about a couple of items.  I got the Huarache. It was a plateful.   YUM!


Then back to the house for some real fun.  I got my plastic box of scraps from scrapbusting with my AccuQuilt GO! cutter(this was round two of scrapbusting.)  
I sewed all of these half-square triangles (HSTs) together. 


Then I sat down and used some of my scrappy HSTs and some 4 1/2" squares and made a scrappy star.  It looks wonky, not because it is, but rather because of the two green points that are medium value rather than dark.  


Won't these make a fun quilt?  I am loving it.  

9 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

I love the pop of the green! It gives the block some movement.

Pat said...

I love doing anything that can be made with the scraps I've cut with my GO cutter. Love your star block!!!

Melissa ;-) said...

What a lovely block from what many would have tossed away!

Unknown said...

love them, and the green of course

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow love it!

Barbara said...

I always love "wonky" and of course, colorful!

sewfunquilts said...

Glad you had such a fun day, and love seeing you use your scraps for stars. Great block.

Royce said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. Your random scrappy quilt is going to be wonderful. I love the look of the block. It's sheer freedom.

pjstitches! said...

I adore making scrappy quilts! Thank you for your tips and secrets. I can't believe how quickly I can cut up a bunch of shapes to stitch into blocks. pj stitches! in sunny sw MO