Saturday, April 02, 2011

A Finish and A New Start

Hello my friends.  I confess that I have taken a couple of lazy days, or as I like to call it "being time."  That is, time to just be and think while I relax.  
On one of those days I did finish the Native American Table Runner.  
Here it is hanging on the side fence to take advantage of the natural light.
A big Thank You to all of those who left quilting ideas.  I used some of them and adapted some of them. 

You may remember that I got a small embroidery machine just a while back.  I have been avoiding it after the initial trial because it is not where I normally sew.  I decided that my netbook computer would hook up to it to transfer designs (ah- that good thinking time paid off!)  My supervisor at work and I have been talking about some good uses for my embroidery machine. She has twin grandsons. I have a grand-niece on the way in July.  So, she bought some baby bibs that are plain to embroider so I could "practice." 
Ha ha, that is fine with me.  I needed to get started so this was a nice impetus.  Last night I did one bib before bedtime.  Today, I bought some designs online (instant download, gotta love that!)  
Here are the three I have done so far.
The one of the left is a "redwork" pattern that I did in purple since the bibs are yellow.  The other two are applique designs.  The lamb got "un-hooped" so he is less than perfect, but still adorable. (lesson learned - tighten the hoop.)

The star has a smiley face that is just adorable. I did this one last night so I have a separate picture of it. 
I hope you are having a great weekend. 

13 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a great idea to practice on bibs! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your embroidery adventures.

GerryART said...

Your table runner is elegant, Gene.
And,
it looks like you can go into the
baby bib business
eveyone, including the wee ones,
will find these adorable.
Hugs,
Gerry

Petit Design Co. said...

the star is really cute!

Melissa ;-) said...

Love them, Gene!

Barb said...

What a great way to begin your embroidery journey...love the bibs, great job...and your runner is just awesome!!

Miss Hillbilly said...

Love the runner...and you'll enjoy the embroidery machine. My favorite site was embroidery library. I think emblibrary.com but you may need to google it.

Pat said...

The runner is outstanding and the bibs are so cute. What kind of stabilizer did you use on the bibs? (I may be able to try out an embroidery machine that was donated to our church....woo-hoo!)

Patty said...

Cute bibs, table runner looks great.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

That runner is wonderful!!!! The bibs are so cute. When I have a baby you can make me one....looks like you are off the hook huh? !!!!

Pat

Barbara said...

Truly love the table runner, and the heritage we both have that it signifies. Great job! A neat saying I try to remember sometimes: We should often just be "human beings" instead of "human doings".

Royce said...

Your table runner is just beautiful. Great idea to practice on the bibs and I just LOVE the little star.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your table runner is amazing! Your background fabric is the perfect choice. Love the bibs - darling!

Fleurette said...

Your table runner is so beautiful!! well done.