Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sashing and Cornerstones

With all the blocks completed in the Layer Cake Quilt along, I have been slacking.  But tonight I found some mojo and started working on the sashing and cornerstones for this quilt. 
I am using a mottled medium tan for the sashing with pieces of the fabrics used in the blocks as cornerstones.  
Originally I was going to use a yellow sashing, but I decided it would overwhelm the quilt as there is already a fair amount of yellow in the blocks. (The main fabric line is called Golden Afternoon) 
Here is how it is starting to shape up. 
The cornerstones with several of the block settings make for some interesting secondary designs.  See how there is a bit of a "chain" but then there is a non-square bit of the darker blue that changes it suddenly. I can't wait to get it all sewn together so I can see how it plays out. 


I apologize that the lighting in the picture is not great. My day job interferes with my quilting - but I couldn't afford to quilt without it. Ha ha. 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks terrific, Gene. I can't wait to see the whole thing!

Tangos Treasures said...

Looking great!!

Pat said...

Sounds like a great idea for the sashing and cornerstones. I'll look forward to seeing more of it as you put it together.

Barb said...

I like how you did the corner stones....can't wait to see the whole quilt!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I really like the look with the different colored corner stones. Can't wait to see the whole thing!

Melissa ;-) said...

I think sometimes we forget how influential the cornerstones and sashing can be in an overall design. That's one of the "funnest" parts of quilting, though. It's like putting together a puzzle that you haven't seen before!

Barbara said...

Definitely the best sashing choice, I also think yellow would have overwhelmed. This will be an eyd-catcher!

sewfunquilts said...

Love your quilt....and wanna see it when it's finished. It's disgusting how jobs interfere with our fun times.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Gene you just need for all of us to each buy 10 lottery tickets....and send them to you so you can win and be able to enjoy your quilting more often....and just do the job as a hobby!

Smiles,
Kelly