Friday, April 29, 2011

Oooh oooh..baby baby....

A dear friend called me up and asked to hire me to make a baby quilt for her to give as a gift.  Cool, a commission quilt!  So the afternoon of the big bad storm, we were sent home early from work.  I needed something to take my mind off the weather.  I called my friend and asked a few questions.  This quilt is to be for a baby girl. No need to do a lot of fancy piecing, she said, I trust your judgement.  


Ahh...free rein.  So I sat down at the computer and opened EQ5 (the version I have) and started playing.  I got an idea and laid out a quilt. Then I got some fat quarters of Riley Blake Summer Song fabric that I won a while back on Pokey Bolton's blog and picked out what I would use for the blocks. 


Before the night - and the storm - was over I had finished the blocks.  The next night I finished the top. 
Here it is for you to see.
Ignore the appearance of "crooked" - the seams are really straight. It is just the way it is hanging. I first laid it out with all the blocks touching top and bottom, but it was too busy. So I added sashing (which is really a pale yellow) between the rows and at both ends. 
I have to say the colors are not my style, but I think it will be just great for a baby girl.  



10 comments:

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Looks great Gene! Not my colors either but it does scream baby girl. I think the sashing was a good idea. It calms the quilt nicely. Do you piece your backs?

Unknown said...

Indeed they are perfect for a baby girl! It's darling, Gene, and I know she will love it!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

A perfect baby girl quilt! I really like the bright cheery colors. I'm sure your friend will be delighted. And to think she has a Gene Black original!!

Rhonda said...

Gene, that is the perfect baby quilt ..... I love the colors!!!

Pat said...

That does say GIRL to me! Good job, Gene.

Karen H said...

Love the colors! It is perfect for a baby girl. It looks like something i might make..... :)

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

It's lovely! The fabrics are perfect!

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow looks great!! Yes it's girly!! Your friend is gonna love it!!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Very cute! Perfect for a baby girl.

sewfunquilts said...

Great quilt for a baby girl. Love the blocks you created in EQ. Terrific job, Gene.