Thursday, October 11, 2012

All Quilted

I am TIRED!  It is nearly ten p.m. and I just finished quilting the other half of the quilt. This is the Beginner's Quilt Along quilt.  What I am going to show you is the back of it.  I have already shown the front several times.

This is not a great picture (hey, I did I mention being tired?)  I just laid the two pieces on the bed and took a quick photo.  You can see that I used several leftover pieces from the top, including the two extra blocks.  I can't help myself, I love a pieced back. I generally work a bit too much on it. Still I want the back to be an extra "work of art" so that the owner can have a change of scenery.  Plus, the backs are always what I call free piecing.  There are no rules.  If I have fun making it, that is all that matters.  Of course often what we create in play is better (or at least more interesting)  than our "work."
Do you allow yourself to play?

11 comments:

Pat said...

I love how you make such creative backs on your quilts!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Oh Gene....I don't allow myself near the time I need to play. I need some play soon :)

Kelly

sewfunquilts said...

Am finally back to blogging again, So can keep up with your "playing" better.

Love your freedom to play with your quilts.

hugs.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I like pieced backs, but not overly pieced. And I always sew for fun!

Barb said...

I love to play!!~

Hope you get some rest!

Teresa Quilts said...

I would never have the nerve to be as creative as you are on your backs, Gene. I think you are going to love the Angel quilt I'm making. :D

Teresa Quilts said...

Except it may be too bland. LOL

Beth said...

I love pieced backs. I have been trying to use my left overs on my backs too. Fun to try and make it work.

Snoodles said...

Fantastic back for the quilt! Love it! (Just got back from voting for your paper pieced runner....)

Tangos Treasures said...

Love it!! I'm need to be more creative on the backs!!

Sheila said...

I like a pieced backing.
Enjoyed your basting with hair spray video. I used your method to spray bast and assemble, on the floor, my last two quilt sandwiches ... with the exception of the hair spray. Had no hair spray. I had and used a little bit of quilt basting spray. Both quilts turned out nicely. No wrinkles, no problems. Thank you, Gene.