Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Embroidery for Quilting? (and an Angel Update)

Every now and then I like to try something new.  For my birthday I got a book that is about using your embroidery machine to quilt.  So I finally got around to making a sample quilt sandwich and giving it a try .  I used two designs on the disc that was included with the book.  One of them I liked well enough that I may use it again.  The other had so many tie offs that it is HORRIBLE for quilting. I don't mind minor knots on the back of my quilts. But I do like that back to be pretty too. This one looks like a train wreck on the back! (sorry I didn't take pictures of the back)
I also had some designs I had bought from an online store, Embroidery Library. They are single-run designs for quilting. I did three of those also.  They only tie off at the beginning and end of the design so the knots are almost unnoticeable.
Here are some pictures of the front:

These two are from the book.  the top one looks great on the front..but the back is horrible.
As I was watching it stitch out, I saw how the embroidery path could be improved to eliminate many of the tie offs that caused the back to be so bad - and I am not a digitizer! But I suppose the fact that I have used well digitized designs and watched them stitch has helped inform me.




The bottom one is okay front and back, I could see using it again.  There is an oops in it, but that was my error.





The three to the left are from Embroidery Library where I have gotten a number of embroidery files.  They stitched out beautifully and the backs are acceptable too.

I don't think I will ever quilt anything more than a tablerunner or small project with any of these files, but I did learn a few things.

One of the things I learned is how to "nudge" the design into place so it stitches out where you want it. (see the two on the left side of this picture?  They are lined up together pretty well, I think.)

I will try a few more of the files from the book another day, I think a couple of them could be useful.
I have added this to Quilty Embellishment Day for October




Angel Project update:
We are progressing well.  If everyone who said they will send a quilt, does send a quilt, we will make our goal.  I had the pleasure of speaking to the director of the Ogden House this past weekend.  She was thrilled that we are doing this again.  We both talked about how quilts are part of our lives and how they comfort and warm not just the body but the soul.  (I wish you could have been there - but then you would have seen tears on my cheeks.)  Needless to say, I felt all warm inside after our talk.

We also have another prize that has been offered to participants.  Norma from Petite Design Co. has kindly offered a prize of a $15 gift certificate to her Etsy store.  She has some wonderful items in her store, fabric, embroidery designs, applique templates and patterns. But the thing that I really love and think would be a great idea to make a family heirloom are her digital portrait  silhouettes.  Since they are delivered by email, there is no shipping.  A single person silhouette is just $15 (and could be paid for with the  gift certificate!) Once you get them you can print out as many as you like. She has suggestions in the description in the store listings.  I love these and they they would be great to make presents for grandparents or say great-uncles like me!
 Of course I am not eligible to win - but I do get to go on the delivery of the quilts and that is more than enough of a prize for me.

12 comments:

Pat said...

I really wish we lived nearer to each other as I'd love to see so many of the nice things you show us in photos!

Tangos Treasures said...

How cool, love the design!

Beth said...

Great designs. I don't have an embroidery machine, but i have seen some amazing projects from them. At the shop we have an embroid-a-block BOM. This year's is so pretty.
Keep stitchin

Kristan said...

I never would have thought to use an embroidery machine to quilt. Interesting!

Debbie said...

Great experiment with the embroidery. I agree on maybe for a small project or table runner style quilt.
Finally got to the post office for a mailing box....will get the quilt off this week, I hope. Doing set up for our local show today, but maybe tomorrow.

Melissa ;-) said...

I know what you mean about the tie offs in some machine embroidery files. I have tried my hand at digitizing, though, and it isn't easy. I am waiting form someone to write a computer program that will do it for me!!!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I really like how the ME turned out. Lined up or not on small projects using blending threads...no one will ever see :)

Kelly

Snoodles said...

I guess you can see the booboo, but I sure can't! Looks great!

Kate Brown said...

Gene, I think it looks wonderful!! Though I have never done it this way, I cant speak to practicality but I sure love looking at it!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I looks like you are having fun with the different embroidery designs. What a great way to embellish a table runner or small quilt.

Michele said...

Gene, I have a quilt finished and would love to donate it to the Angel Project. Can you let me know the address to send it to? I can post it on Tuesday. Thank you, Michele Gailey

Pat Merkle said...

I've wanted to try quilting with embroider, but haven't had to courage to try. Thanks so much for sharing and linking up to QED!