Sunday, October 14, 2012

Paint and Fabric - a new Adventure

A book I got on sale from C&T publishing is about creating fabric designs with paint. The title is Off the Shelf Fabric Painting.   I was very happy on reading it to find that she recommends Golden Liquid Acrylics which I have for painting art also.  Of course being me, I never really follow the directions. (are you surprised?)
Today I took some basic supplies:
Golden Fluid Acrylics in three transparent colors:  Phtalo Blue (green shade) Quinacridone Crimson and Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide .  A bottle of water (recycled dish liquid bottle), a plastic tray and some unbleached muslin.  I did the first piece with these colors on folded cloth that was sprayed just damp.  I manipulated it a lot.  Here is my first result:


Then I decided to change to a stronger yellow - Diarylide Yellow - which is also transparent. I premixed the yellow paint with some water in a disposable cup. I did the same with the red. I put on a rubber glove and smeared it around a bit.  Then I rinsed the glove; put a bit of the blue in the tray with some water and put loose handprints on the fabric.  I also filled in some of the white areas with the blue. (I should have left more white.)  But here is my second result.

I printed another one by dampening the fabric and laying it on top of the second one. It is far more pastel and has more white space...but I forgot to take a picture of it.

The hard part will be letting these sit and dry to become permanent.  The book says to wait 14 days.  Sigh!  Let the waiting begin.   What do you think? should I continue doing these?
Should I really follow the directions next time?  Yeah, maybe I should -- I would love your comments.

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love how these came out....I always read the instructions and with those in mind I still set out to "do my own thing". I think the instructions give you a baseline to do what you are going to do. But today, everybody does their own thing.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

It's beautiful! I love the colors. If you know (or think you know) what you might use the created fabrics for, why not make more?

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Since you are a painter too, this seems like a natural progression to paint on fabric too.

Barb said...

Oh....how I hate waiting....but it looks to be well worth the wait!

Karen H said...

It is beautiful! I say make more. I'm sure you will find a great use for it! :)

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Do your own thing Gene! The results look beautiful to me.

Barbara said...

Lovely results no matter how you did them.
You? Follow directions?? LOL! :)

Jackie said...

They look fantastic.

Melissa said...

They look great! I love the first one personally, but that is because I have a secret love affair with the color blue. Letting them dry for 14 days would be absolute torture for me, I'm all about instant gratification :)

sewfunquilts said...

You are so patient...I would have a difficult time waiting the 14 days. I admire your boldness when it comes to trying new things.

Beth said...

Wow. That looks so cool. Make more! They would be great for so many projects! Love the colors.