Saturday, October 20, 2012

One More Done!

Happy happy! Joy Joy!  My last unbound quilt is now bound.   The back of the quilt is a blue green, the front has a black background.  Sounds like it would be easy to pick out a binding material doesn't it?  I took a scrap of the backing with me to the store and chose a binding fabric. But, there was one little problem. One aspect was neglected.  The design fabric on the front is all "Asian style" prints with a number of colors.  When I auditioned the binding fabric, only one word came to mind: NO! - and it was in capital letters with a big exclamation point after it. Arrrgh!  Now what?  I decided to go through my stash fabrics again.
I had some in these two tote bags that I had "forgotten" about.

The lighter one doesn't look like there is much in it, or is there?

There are several yards folded onto comic book boards to make mini bolts.   This is where I found the magical fabric that worked perfectly.  It is a design by Jo Morton for Andover fabrics. Unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment.
Regardless, it was perfect for this quilt.



The stripes on the fabric were almost perfectly on grain.  This is something I have found to be very rare.
Now some of you may recognize this quilt.  You see, it has been languishing for a long time.  I started it and pieced the top in 2010.  I had it quilted in 2011.  Now in 2012, I am finally getting a binding on it.
The pattern for this is one I designed.  It is called Dance of the Japanese Lanterns. It is made using the chisel die for the Accuquilt Go! 55039 OR the Studio Die 50250 OR  Studio Die 50148.   There is also the option to cut a template. I have listed it again in my Etsy Store if you would like to get a copy of the PDF pattern.
I hope you are getting some projects finished too!

16 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

I remember when you started that quilt. Has it really been 2 years? It looks great.

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katrina said...

I remember that quilt!! Great find for the binding!

SeeingStars said...

Your binding choice looks great. Isn't it fun to rediscover something in your stash? I just finished a small quilt today that was started Sept 2011. It was only a wall hanging, but it took over a year to find that inspiration to finish it. Eyeroll!

Tangos Treasures said...

Nice!!! I also remember that quilt!! Great on a finish!!! YAY!!

Beth said...

Looks great! Glad you found binding in your own stash.
If you need any quilts to bind I can send you some. Just sayin....

marilyn said...

I just bought the chisel die! Will take a look at your quilt pattern :)

marilyn said...

I just bought the chisel die! Will take a look at your quilt pattern :)

Teresa Quilts said...

I love that quilt! It is beautiful!

Vesuviusmama said...

Good for you, getting them all bound! Ad yes, that fabric does look perfect!

Barb said...

Wow...you sure are getting a lot finished...and organized too...come organize mine?

Gene Black said...

Barb said I was organized. Ha! I have yards of fabric that are NOT neatly folded on comic book boards....and I have plenty of comic book boards to fold them on...but --well I am not that organized!

Marjorie said...

I love that binding. After seeing some striped binding on one of the quilts over at Red Pepper Quilts blog, I have decided that striped binding is my favorite. The quilt is very pretty too.

Royce said...

Gene I too got several things finished this weekend that had be sitting around for a good while. Isn't it a great feeling.

Snoodles said...

Oh, that really IS perfect! I love that, and how wonderful to have a finish! Great job, Gene. :)

Kate Brown said...

I think it looks wonderful on that quilt. Really beautiful quilt too!!