Friday, October 19, 2012

EQ7 Printing Foundations

When you are working in EQ7 (Electric Quilt software) you may wish to print paper foundation pieces.  This can be a little tricky since you can only print a page that is 8.5" by 11"  So what do you do??? You could make all your blocks smaller than that - but what fun is that?  I hate being limited. Let's find a solution.

I was stumped on this for a bit, but I did figure it out.  Of course I want to share it with you.  This is a block I drew that is not easily cut and pieced.  So if I made it, I would probably do paper piecing.

Here is the drawing of the block:
Getting those angles and points right by cutting and piecing would be a real chore.
So in EQ7 click on the Printer button. It will drop down a menu where you can choose Foundation Pattern.


Then you will get a window with three tabs, pick options

This is important because on this tab you can choose the size of your block(s.) I have already set mine to 9" square.  (you just type the number in the box)
Now click Preview

This will bring up a nice preview of how the foundation will print.

OOPS!  It is going to chop it up. I don't want to have to tape or glue pieces together.  Relax, we can fix this.
There is a nice little "MOVE" feature.  In the above picture look at the top.  See that move button?  When you click it then you can rearrange the pieces - just click, hold and drag.
There doesn't this look better?
Now you can print the foundations and go sew them.
I hope that some of you that use EQ7 will try this.

11 comments:

Chatterbox Quilts said...

Thanks for the information, Gene. I hadn't thought to use the Move feature for foundation piecing blocks.

beaquilter said...

he he, you stole my idea for another tute :-) my fall wicked blog hop I used a large block, but no way to move it more, so I taped it together...... I use the move tool OFTEN!!

Debbie said...

Great tutorial....yes, I love that move button, too. Good job with it.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I didn't know that Gene. Thanks!!!

Rhonda said...

You are so smart! And thank you for sharing that. I have EQ7 and sometimes get very frustrated. You're a gem!!

CaliQuilter said...

Gene,

Thanks for sharing this. I had to struggle with this last year on one of my quilts. Wish I had this info then!

CaliQuilter ~ Joan

Barb said...

That just boggles my mind that you can do that....I am still old school

Barbara said...

Way over my head Gene, there's nothing electronic about my sewing. But I can see other comments of those who have entered the new century, and they are much appreciative. Congrats on being so topical, and on finding a way to make these new-tangled electronics sing and dance for you"

sewfunquilts said...

I didn't know that as am definitely not an expert on
EQ7.....but apparently YOU are, so I can always come to you with my questions...tee hee.

Tangos Treasures said...

Nice!!

Katrina said...

Thanks for posting that Gene!