Saturday, October 27, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Last night a friend asked if I was going to enter the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  I emailed back and told her that I was passing on it this year.  As they say on The Quilt Show (Alex and Ricky) "Every Day is a New Day!"   So today is a new day and I have decided to enter.
I am happy to enter my favorite art quilt of the year into this show.

Blogger’s Quilt Festival Stats
Finished quilt measures : 14″x 17″
Special techniques used : decorative machine stitches, hand embroidery, couching
Quilted by : Gene Black
Best Category : Art quilt, wall hanging, doll/mini quilt

String Theory

 I love the energy and joy that is shown in this quilt.  I learned a lot about hand stitching and more about the stitches on my machine in making this  piece. From the very start of this quilt I was inspired.  The base fabric, a batik, has lots of visual texture.  In making this quilt, I wanted to add to that texture. I also wanted to add more color to intensify the visual impact of the quilt. I also happen to love bright bold colors.

As I worked on this quilt I noticed a flow begin to develop. Areas were stitched, not in a planned order, but rather as inspiration came. I let the quilt “tell me” what it wanted rather than trying to plan everything out.  Symbols that have personal meaning, such as the spiral, were incorporated into the design.  There are a lot of organic shapes that emerged as the quilt took form.
Various areas were filled with hand stitches but also some machine stitches.  In places, threads were woven through other stitches.  Much like our lives, the combination, working together added strength to the whole.
I sometimes used more than one thread in the needle as I had sewed.  This allowed some subtle color shifts that would not be possible with a single thread.  It also created a few challenges in the hand stitching. It was a great learning process for me.

Detail pictures:





Be sure you go to check out the Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side. There are lots of links to some wonderful and inspiring works. 
Amy's Creative Side


32 comments:

Pat Merkle said...

I was hoping this would be the quilt you entered. I love this quilt!!!

Anonymous said...

Just amazing! The detail and your hand stitching, everything! Wow!

Pat Merkle said...

Thanks Gene. I just checking to see if I'm still a no-reply blogger. Not sure what happened.

Debbie said...

So glad you enter this great art quilt.....love all your details.

Barbara said...

Very nice, Gene.

kadyb said...

Awesome! I'm so glad you're entering this one - it keeps one's eye engaged and it's lovely. Kathi

Calicojoan said...

Ohhhh that looks like fun!! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Trudi said...

It's such a vibrant quilt Gene, full of life, I really love it! And all that hand stitching, fabulous!

CitricSugar said...

Gene, this is incredibly beautiful!

Jackie said...

That is just beautiful Gene!

Patti said...

Fabulous entry! Truly beautiful.

Eileen said...

Great vibrant quilt. Love the combination of stitching by machine and hand Thanks so much for sharing and have a great day

Quilting Babcia said...

Great design and I love all the color variations. Glad you decided to enter the festival!

Sarah said...

I will never get tired of looking at that quilt! It may just be my favorite of all that I have seen of your work.

Ariane said...

Your quilts is wonderful!! I love it!!

Rhonda said...

Great job. Thanks for doing close ups. You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! ♥♥♥

Tangos Treasures said...

YAY!! It's beautiful!! Good luck!

Liz, Quilt Adventurer said...

what a beautiful piece! thanks for entering it!

Unknown said...

beautiful!

Jean Cheszek said...

Love it! and all the hand quilting is great.

Sandra said...

The embroidery work is over the top!! Love it. Great job.

Come see my entries #23 antique zigzag and #46 repro tulip batik

Danih03 said...

beautiful quilt! I love the colors and the handwork!!

Beth said...

What a beauty. The stitching and the details are so awesome.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt, and the embroidery is fabulous. Your photos are amazing.

Unknown said...

Well done, Gene! Love the water-y blues and bright accents. (especially lovin' the hand embroidery stitches!)

Marika said...

Quilting Very nice work :)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Stunning work!

Kate Brown said...

This is one of those pieces that I would just love to see in person! The colors are so vibrant and the stitching is amazing. Really beautifully done Gene!!

Nana said...

Very cool. Love the hand stitching.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just stumbled on your beautiful quilt entered into the quilt festival, I don't know how it slipped past me over the festival. It is beautiful.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Gene I'm so glad you find my Tuesday Archives linky as this is the perfect post to rejuvenate this week!!!Love all the stitching!!!