Thursday, July 11, 2013

Another day, Another block

After hearing from a few of my online friends, I decided to play with my idea for the last block and see if I could do better.  The center circle and saw-blades in it were good enough to make me happy. The rest--ehhh- not so much.
So I did the same center saw-blade design but this time I made it the center of a chrysanthemum-like flower.
Front

Back
I really like the way this came out.  Still not "perfect" but still attractive.
With the back and forth emails with a few blog commenters,  I came to the realization that the main thing to doing free motion quilting is much like getting to Carnegie Hall -- PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.   I know that all the practice on the other quilt with "travel stitching" helped when I was sewing on a drawn line.  I also know that practice builds confidence.
One more big thing - don't be a perfectionist!!! If I were a perfectionist, I wouldn't have anything to show you most days.   You get to see both my mistakes and my triumphs - sometimes in the same piece!
It is okay. Unless you are making a show quilt you don't have to be perfect.  Just do it.  The funny thing is - by just doing it (and trying your best) you will get better from the practice.     Dont' be afraid to laugh at yourself.  It is very freeing to your creative spirit. And a free creative spirit will amaze you. You will look back at things you have finished and say "Wow, I did that!"
And one final thing - try to quit being your own worst critic. It is a natural tendency, but don't point out your mistakes when you show a piece to your neighbor or cousin or spouse.  Just let them look and be happy when they say "You did a great job."

Okay, "mama" Gene is through with the pep talk for today. (it is as much for me, as it is for you. Seriously. )

Edited to add my weekend plans:
I have more weekend creative plans than time.  I plan to:
a. bind a quilt -it needs a teeny bit more FMQ...so that is part of this plan
b. mount 2 art quilts to get them "gallery ready"
c. start on a new quilt top (or three - sigh -I will have to pick one)
d. organize some craft/sewing materials.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Gene you are so righ about practice. It seemed tome for awhile all i could do was get fluster so I woul djust stop and give myself a pity party. Non I am not going to say I still don't do that any more but i can sy I do it less....because of practice, practice, practice....If really is a very pretty design...kudos to you

Unknown said...

It is looking pretty darned good! Keep practicing!

Four dogs and one quilter said...

I agree with you about practicing. It really does work. I always have to remind myself that when I see pictures of fantastic quilting online, I don't see all the hundreds of hours this quilters have spent to get to that level of quilting. Keep practicing! PS: Circles are hardest!

Marjorie said...

The mum is really pretty, but I liked the idea on the first block too. I'm so impressed with what you're doing.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Gene, you're doing wonderfully!

Snoodles said...

LOL Thanks for the pep talk! And you are so right! I wish I had more time to practice my FMQ. I'm getting a little bored with stippling, but I am a perfectionist, so I needed to hear this! I will take my next opportunity and branch out into something new....
Love your mum - great job!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your block looks wonderful. I need to start practicing again - lol!

Barbara said...

I like them both! A show quilt??? Why would I ever do that, not moi.

JJ said...

Way to go. I like both of your practise pieces. I am with you on the practise, practise, practise. So many projects so little time. Definitely not enough time to spend being critical.

Tangos Treasures said...

Cool!! Looks great!!