Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Warning- No quilting or Fabric in this post

I took a bit of a lazy Tuesday evening and decided to cook.  Me cooking is not unusual, however, this time is was.
There were two zucchinis in the bottom of my refrigerator.  I pulled them out and sliced them up.  I had every intention of doing a simple fried zucchini - because after all I am Southern and we like to fry things.  Ha ha.
As I was slicing I had an idea.  Zucchini lasagna-- why not?  I know there are zucchini lasagna recipes online already.  But this time I went off the board!  I made it up as I went -using what I had.
There was a jar of spaghetti sauce that I had used maybe a 1/8 of a cup for a sandwich.  I had a few Vidalia onions.  A canister of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs had actually fallen off the shelf on me two nights ago so I thought of that addition.  I had a package of shredded mozzarella. How could I go wrong?
I sprayed a casserole dish with non-stick spray. Then I did the prep: chopped the onion, opened the bag of cheese and set everything up for assembly.

Here is the basic recipe

Two good sized zucchini sliced -next time I will slightly sauté them prior to assembly
one medium vidalia onion-chopped
one jar spaghetti sauce (your choice) 
Bread crumbs -itallian seasoned or else add in some Italian seasonings
8 oz
 shredded REAL mozzarella cheese

Layer in this order thin layer of each
Sauce
zucchini
onions
breadcrumbs
cheese

Repeat until you have 3 layers

Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.


When I took it out after cooking it looked like this
See that cheese that is just almost burned - I think that is the best part!
I ate a serving of it. ------ Then I went back for seconds.  This is good stuff.  I will do this one again. What a great way to use extra zucchini!

And if you are looking for the giveaway it is HERE.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

11 comments:

Dot Moore said...

Sounds delish. I will try this one.

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Sounds yummy. Not too high in carbs ...I'll try it!

Pat said...

I'm not a zucchini fan but that does look tasty. I've had loved the "burned" cheese, too.

Pat said...

TYPO...you know I meant I'd and not I've!!! LOL

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Thanks for sharing your inspiration. There always seems to be extra zucchini around and this sounds like a great use for it.

Patti Williams said...

I have got to try this it looks yummy!!

Patti Williams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holee said...

This is just yummy looking. I also like the almost burnt parts!

I did a color wave on my blog using the iris you sent to me. Now I see the photo on your header with lots of brilliant aqua, a color I didn't consider. I'll have to add that one for sure. Thanks for the help!

Beth said...

it looks good. I usually try not to waste any time in the kitchen. LOL

Royce said...

I think some of the best dishes are made up on the spur of the moment. I seldom use a recipe myself except for baking. Sounds like my kind of cooking and looks wonderfully yummy.

Linda C said...

looks good, Gene! I have even used zucchini instead of eggplant to make a version similar to Moussaka. Pretty good that way! My poor husband never knows what country we might be dining in when I cook, which is the way I like it! LOL