Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I won a shopping trip!

Several days ago I got a very nice surprise.  It seems that I commented on a friend's blog.  She had reached 1000 followers.  Wow that is a lot of followers.   Get this: the prize was a $50 gift certificate to the Fat Quarter Shop.  I started shopping early.  I filled up a shopping cart and saved it.   I like that feature on the site. Some of what I chose was on clearance. Hey, I love a bargain!

So I finally got the code (okay it wasn't really that long a wait...but I am trying to build suspense here!)  I went back to order  my cart.  OH NO!!!!  Two of the fabrics I had picked were SOLD OUT! So I didn't get the Denim Blue or the Yellow that I had chosen. (Sigh) So I shopped some more. Ahhh!  As I was going to use the denim as a neutral in a quilt, I had to find another neutral.  Would you believe it is called "Mud" ?   Really it is. I also added another yard of a bright fabric.
Oops!  I went over budget!  Oh well, it is good fabric!  So I paid the extra out of my mad money.

One thing I like about the Fat Quarter Shop is that the fabrics always come neatly folded and packed well.  Just look:
It is in a sealed plastic bag (or two in this case) and the invoice is in an attractive Thank You envelope.
Now, let's take a closer look at those fabrics!!!!
I got four bright solids and two pretty Stonehenge fabrics -one purple mottled and one green and yellow.  And I got THREE neutrals-Taupe, Sage and Mud - I confess I don't know which brown is taupe and which is mud, but wait--I just looked I got two yards of taupe so it is the lighter one.
I don't know about you, but I have a hard time buying neutrals.  I am drawn to the bright colors. So I got 5 yards total of neutral fabric in this purchase. (2-taupe, 2 sage and 1 mud)  I think I did pretty well on self control.  Ha ha...Of course I got FIVE yards of bright and a half yard of the muted mingled purple - but here is a secret --that one is 108" wide - so it is really more than a standard yard of fabric. SCORE!!!
In the next few days I will be playing with the neutrals and some batiks I have stashed away for another quilt.  The neutrals will really make the bright batiks pop.

Oh yes, if you are looking for my giveaway - it is HERE.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh beautiful fabric for your win Gene and I too like the packaging...congratulations

Tangos Treasures said...

WOW!! Congratulations!!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Congrats! Great fabric selections. I look forward to seeing another beautiful creation from your purchase.

Average Quilter said...

What a nice haul. It's always great to get fabric in the mail - even greater when it is on sale or doesn't cost anything.

Rhonda said...

OMG, Gene those fabrics look god enough to eat. They are going to look great in whatever you use them in!!

Holee said...

What a great haul! I have to learn to shop better. I think I'm a one noter. I either pick prints or solids and they are usually monochromatic...kind of boring compared to what you picked. I'm hanging around Gene to learn how to use brights better. You seem to be so good at it!

Thearica said...

You did good Gene! You can some yummy selections there. :)