Sunday, July 28, 2013

Goals Met -and then some!

Saturday morning started with two goals for me.

  1. I wanted to finish two notebooks that I had quilted the covers for the past week - DONE (and shown on yesterday's post) 
  2. Take some old quilt along blocks from March of 2011 - that I had abandoned - and make them into a quilt top. DONE
Here is the quilt top:
Draped over the loveseat

Tossed in the floor - and not straightened out - OOPS
The funny thing I have discovered about Free Motion Quilting is that it is a lot like CRACK to a quilter, at least once you start "getting" it.  I had to have a fix. There was too much jumping around in my brain and I needed to play with it to exorcise it so I could relax. 
So -two squares of plain fabric, one piece of quilt batting some fun thread and my machinger gloves AND of course my trusty machine, then it was off to the races! 
 I call this a pebbled feather design.  I did NOT plan this out ahead of time, I just let the muse have a party with my hands. We danced out one bobbin of 50 weight thread and part of another.  The thread matched the back better than I expected.  I was planning on a contrast, albeit a low contrast. 
However, you don't really see the thread on the back, just the design.  The really cool thing, for me, is that it is starting to look like I know what I am doing. 
One of the things that I learned in Cindy Needham's Craftsy Class - Design It, Quilt It, is that you can make an open spine for a feather and fill it with a small design. This one is called "pearls"
Yes I know you can see some of my bobbles there but even the really great quilters have bobbles.  The bobbles are so insignificant that in the grand scheme of things, they are practically invisible. 

Do you play with free motion quilting? If  you get into it, it really is addictive. 

(A little addition)

you could do this!  I remember when it seemed impossible- I oohed and ahhed  over so many other peoples work. For me there was no "moment" -it was so gradual - yesterday when I was doing this, I kept being amazed.  I confess that one feather in there is a hot mess. I started to rip it out.  But I followed Leah Day's wisdom and kept going. that "hot mess" is now just a part of the overall design and *I* have to hunt for it.
Remember - this is that guy that sent two quilts out to be quilted with a big stipple.  Anyone can learn this. You just need to take some classes and practice, practice, practice.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

18 comments:

Pat said...

GENE......that quilting is wonderful! You are doing a terrific job. I so wish I had the patience and talent to learn FMQ. Keep up the great work!!! I'm very impressed with what you showed here.

Marjorie said...

Your quilting is wonderful. You are moving up the expert category. It is addictive isn't it?

Barbara said...

FMQ that looks this perfect will never need a long arm. Pretty amazing!

Vicki W said...

Wow! You can really see the progression. You can take all of the classes in the world but you'll not get better without practice!

SeeingStars said...

Your practice piece is terrific. Hope you decide to use it for something fun.
Like that quilt top too. :)

Unknown said...

Gene they do look wonderful and I see no baubles or whatever you called them it looks wonderful.... I also have brought the class but not yet got into it so you have now given me more incentive and I am using my hands allot more so my new incentive everyday is to do at least 15 minutes of FMQ. I have just set up my older machine with 3 layers of fabric squares to practice and see where it take me....have fun and enjoy your sunday....

Peter Lappin said...

Stunning work, Gene. Absolutely gorgeous!

Barb said...

Your FMQ is fabulous....

Four dogs and one quilter said...

Your practice piece looks great! A few more like this one and you will be a pro.

Four dogs and one quilter said...

Your practice piece looks great! A few more like this one and you will be a pro.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! Love the colors. You have made tremendous progress in your FMQ. It's been fun watching you have fun with thread and fabric.

Beth said...

Your practice is paying off. Love your design. Keep on it is looking great.

Rhonda said...

WOW, Gene. You are really good with the free motion. I'm still in the oohhhh and aahhhhh stage!!

Linda C said...

Looking good on the quilting, Gene. I'm afraid I stick to the ESS, well not quite but ditch work. Just the opposite of YOU. I have no real desire to free motion myself but I sure admire what you are learning to do!

JJ said...

Your quilt is nice and your quilting is looking good. The practice is paying off. I on the other hand am still timid about doing fancy stuff.

Elaine said...

Nicely done, Gene. I need to try it. I rent a longarm machine and quilt edge to edge with a predetermined design. It come out nice but I like the organic look of free motion and in May we are moving to Oregon where I will not have access to a rental machine.

Joanna van der Gracht de Rosado said...

Hi Gene, Your quilts are amazing. I especially like the one used in your header. It reminds me of van Gogh's "Starry Night"

Have you done any quilts inspired by your visits to Merida?

Karin said...

Great work. So agree with...FMQ is so addictive and so rewarding at the same time.