Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Forgotten Project Finished! And Spinning Q's Answered

The "forgotten project" has a binding on it.
I used an old multicolored batik from my stash that has dots on it.  I thought that it would add color and repeat the circles in the quilt top. And honestly, it was just fun!

Here are some quilting closeups.  The quilting is NOT perfect because it is hand guided by me, a human.





I had fun doing all the quilting on this little quilt. 

Yesterday on the "spinning wool" post, A Left Handed Quilter asked "...could you explain what "stacks" and "coils" are?"  These are a couple of ways that spinners add texture to yarn.  Since my yarn is still hanging to dry, I "borrowed" some photos to show you. 
Spun Coils

Spun Stacks
As you can tell the coils are a much more defined "orderly" texture.  But the stacks are more "wild and messy."   As I have woven with both in the past I will tell you that for weaving both get distorted a bit by the warp threads.  But they both add a nice texture to the woven fabric. 

She also mentioned "ply" in her comment. So I will tell you that plying is simply combining two spun strands into a unified strand.  The sewing thread you buy is most likely a 2 or 3 ply thread. 
We call the original spun strand a "single" - it has been spun but not plied. Singles can be used for weaving but are rarely used for knitting or crochet. 

I hope you are staying in and staying virus free. And I really hope you are washing your hands very well if you have to go out - both before leaving and after returning home!

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Yup, staying in, washing a lot, and I hope you are well too! I love the batiks, always, and your quilting is about as perfect as human hand guided quilting can possibly be!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Me, too - staying in, washing a lot, and hope you are well too! Love the quilting on your top - GREAT texture! And THANKS for the spinning answers - I had "ply" right - but the "stacks" and "coils" were new to me - ;)))

Vicki W said...

The quilt turned out so nice! Who getting this lovely?

Jeanna said...

Interesting process, Gene. Stay well!

Angie said...

Very beautiful "forgotten project". I really like the colors and quilting. So pretty. Stay healthy.💙🌻🎵🐦