Monday, March 16, 2020

Something New

This year I got a little bit of money back from the IRS.  It wasn't enough, but with some saved up "fun" money,  and finding a good deal I was able to buy a Juki Straight Stitch machine.


It only does a straight stitch - no zigzag, no programmed stitches. But it does backstitch with that lever on the bottom right.  It also has a thread cutter that you can activate with a button on the machine OR with the heel portion of the foot pedal. 

I decided to lower the feed dogs and put on the 1/4" quilting foot that came with it.  Then I tried some free motion quilting.   I was amazed at the quality of the stitches.  It is easier to see where I am going and where I have been when quilting due to the nice wide open harp space.

So, I put it to the real test.  I pulled out some "problem threads" that just don't do FMQ all that well.
Rather than starting easy, I pulled out a cheap, old metallic thread that I started to throw in the trash and then decided to keep for hand embroidery.

No breakage,  no skips, the stitch quality is as good as I have ever gotten.
So I did another one.
Again, no problems.

I tried embroidery thread too.


Nice!
Just to really test the machine, I basted the quilt sandwich with a basting spray that did NOT work well the previous time I used it. That spray caused the thread to break continually,  even using the best thread I own.
It never hesitated.  I think I love this machine.
I even signed my name.

Yes, I do believe this is a keeper. 



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

14 comments:

Kathleen said...

Congratulations! Looks like you got a winner, one that you will love and will cooperate nicely with all sorts of ornery threads, etc. Hooray.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Ooooh - I LOVE your new "baby" - I think she likes her new home - ;))

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have three Jukis and love all of them. Great machine that is a work horse.

Barbara said...

Ah, I guess I should try all these things with my basic mechanical Pfaff. Seems like it’s the same kind of machine, and it’s the only one I have. No bells and whistles, just the facts, m’am. Plus, I can clean and service it myself. You are catching up to what’s best, Gene! Haha seriously, I hope you enjoy it a LOT!

Vicki W said...

I have the earlier version of that machine and it's amazing. It's been serviced ONCE in over 20 years! You are going to love it!

Debbie said...

Congrats and good for you! A good basic machine can't be beat....with nothing else to complicate matters it can stitch up a storm. The designs look great and the stitches are so pretty!

Frog Quilter said...

So happy for you! I dropped off my Bernina for service yesterday. I have others to use..

Jeanna said...

I've heard some really good things about this machine. I do not need another machine but if I have to replace one then I would seriously consider the Juki. The FMQ looks great...enjoy!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I sew on vintage Singers, but if I had to buy new, that would be the machine I would buy.

Quilting Gail said...

Congratulations on your new machine! It sounds like it's a great fit for you!
I'm sure you'll have many hours of Happy Quilting! :-)

ShirleyC said...

Congrats Gene! What a nice machine!

Barb said...

What a fabulous machine, I am glad she is a keeper, now what to do with some of the other machines....hummmmmmm

JohninKent said...

What's the model number on your new Juki?

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Glad you like your new machine.