Monday, April 13, 2020

A Small Project

Even though we are under a "stay home" order,  I have to go to my Mom's daily.  She is almost 84 and not fully self sufficient.  She can still cook some things, but I carry food to her on a pretty regular basis.   Due to the lack of paper products on store shelves, she has started hanging a towel on the oven handle to dry her hands in the kitchen.  I think that is smarter than paper towels anyway so I am encouraging her to continue doing that. 
But, I noticed that one towel she had hanging was a bit ragged and was getting threadbare.  I mentioned it and she said, "Yes, I thought about throwing it away, but I can use it a while longer."
When I arrived home I checked my supplies and found a kitchen towel that still had the tag on it. There were also some brand new white washcloths. 
A bit of "research" and a plan was made.   Crafty Gemini has a tutorial on YouTube  that also has a link to a pattern piece for a towel topper.  To the stash to pull out some fabric and a bit of interfacing and the project was underway.   On the towel with the brown stripe, I decided to add a piece that matches the topper. 
The other one is two washcloths with a topper added.  For that topper, I used the leftover pieces from cutting out the topper for the first one.  The shape is a bit different but it works.  Instead of adding buttons and doing button holes,  I decided to use velcro.  The big plus is that it is easier for older hands. Also, I have the straight stitch machine in my table and this prevented having to switch it out.

I think they came out really nice for a first try.  I may make some of these to give as gifts when I can shop for towels again.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

You are so imaginative and creative! Kudos to you for thinking of Velcro instead of buttons for your Mom. Age and less dexterity happens to all of us. I would so appreciate Velcro on everything instead of buttons!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Those are terrific!! Yay for Velcro - and a son who knows how to sew!! - ;))

Debbie said...

Really nice finish and so useful! I am being a paper towel scrooge too since we can't find any.

piecefulwendy said...

What a thoughtful idea for your mom. I'm sure she'll enjoy having a new, fresh towel along with something new to brighten up her kitchen. We all love that, no matter our age! These will be great ideas to have on hand for gift giving too.

Kathleen said...

Such a great idea for your mom (and others too!). I love having a towel there and would use that kind but hubs likes to dry the counters with them so less useful to have it buttoned on. We use so much less paper than we did a few years ago....our son was looking for paper towels we had none extra to share. Feeling a little more spring like here, hope you get to enjoy some of the same.

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Gene!
What a thoughtful son you are!!!
I love the idea of using velcro!
Very nice towels!
Happy Quilting! :-)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Excellent solution for your Mom's kitchen, Gene!!

Marie said...

Hi Gene, I love you check on your Mom and all you do for her. As a older lady I sure do appreciate all my children do for me too. I love the washcloth idea -looks great and thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Marie