Monday, April 06, 2020

Getting Some Quilting Done

I looked and looked at the quilt top and could not determine how I was going to quilt it.  The muse was very quiet.  When I decided to look for a different quilt on my blog, a photo showed up that made me go "Ooooh, I love the way that is quilted."  So I pulled out the quilt and looked at it. While this will be different in many ways, that quilt told me what I needed to think about to quilt this one.

Do you look at you past work for inspiration?  Or do you maybe have an "idea board" or some other type or plan for inspiration?  Some days we just need a kick start.

What I really loved on the older quilt was the way the quilting was divided into sections that all worked together.  I saw that I used several "Square Flower" motifs.  It is one that I learned from Lori Kennedy. That link will take you to her blog tutorial. Of course, I have changed the motif a little and made variations.  But I love the basis of it.  To quote a country song, "When the bones are good, the rest don't matter"  and the bones on this are excellent.  I learned from Christina Cameli and Leah Day that you can take a basic design (the bones) and create endless variations.

Here are some sneak peeks including a photo of the main backing fabric.
Square Flower

Floral with Leaves and squiggles

Backing fabric and some quilting
This backing batik is a "mystery" batik that I bought many years ago.  Cutting it was difficult because I love the way the colors change and blend.  Using it for a backing was perfect - and it was big enough if I added a nice solid to either side.

For now, I am planning to use a huge floral-ish motif for each of the big squares. I have not yet decided what I will do for the setting triangles and border. I drew my inspiration from the quilt below.  I may well draw more inspiration from this fun quilt.
The stitching isn't perfect but it certainly makes me smile.
Oh yes, the "other side" of this inspiration piece can be seen here.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

5 comments:

Barb said...

Looks awesome....looks like you enjoyed yourself too.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with Barb - it looks AWESOME! I remember the "inspiration" quilt - and the wonderful quilting you did on it. It's nice to have previous work to look back on - inspiration is everywhere - ;))

Angie said...

Very pretty quilting! 🌻🎶

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Gene,
Thank you for showing the quilting details! It looks fantastic!
Happy Quilting! :-)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I wouldn't want to cut that fabric up, either.