Friday, April 03, 2020

Quilt Basted and Stabilized

You may think I have just been hanging out and doing not much.  But, I have done things - I just haven't posted in a few days.
Honestly, in the current situation, it is hard for some of us. I will survive because I am a survivor.  But, still, it is hard.  (sorry just being honest.)

Anyway,  I got a quilt basted and the stabilizing (ditch quilting) done.  I don't ditch every seam but I did outline all of the rows - and as this is set on point, that was challenging for me.  One thing I did while doing the ditch quilting was to listen to Ricky Tims reading today's chapter of Lizzie Albright.  The link should take you to the playlist so you can start from the beginning.  I love children's books and children's fantasy is a favorite.  Think "Wizard of Oz" meets "Harry Potter" with a quilt providing some inspiration.  It is quite interesting.

Back to my quilt.
Here is a partial photo of it after basting and stabilizing as it lays on my bed.  I confess  that I had a hard time seeing where I had ditch quilted and where I hadn't.  (yaay)

Here is the photo of the top from Dec 2018.


Another thing I had been doing is some weaving.  I had a narrow warp on my loom so I wove it off into two separate pieces. One is cotton while the other is synthetic yarn.
You can see two sections of the cotton on the left while the synthetic yarn piece is on the right.

I may be missing for a few more days as now I have a nice basted quilt to be quilting on at my leisure.  I hope you are being kind to yourself and not feeling guilty if you aren't staying busy.  You have my permission to just relax and simply exist.  But please be aware of safety guidelines if you have to leave your home.  Wash your hands and wear a mask at the minimum when you have to go on an essential supply run.

*** FYI -  I wasn't apologizing for being honest, but for being a "downer" - which I don't like to do.  But I felt that folks should know that even the "happy face" people are struggling right now too.... I want folks not to feel guilty for having what I think are pretty normal feelings. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

I really love this colorful quilt. Looking at it once or twice isn’t enough. It’s beautiful.
Hey, things today are indeed hard. I agree. But never apologize for being honest. 😉

Frog Quilter said...

Hey Gene. That’s a beautiful quilt. You will get many relaxing hours quilting it.

Today I’m off my game so just taking it easy. You can find me in the spare bedroom enjoying the sun and the fan. I’ll be enjoying amazon prime the sopranos which I have never seen. So far so good.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your beautiful quilt will provide hours of relaxing quilting - so ENJOY and take your time. Your weaving is terrific - as always. You have our permission to just relax and exist, too - we are all so lucky to have quilting to get us through stuff - ;))

Lyndsey said...

Love your quilt, it's so bright and cheerful, perfect for the current times. yesterday John and I just totally chilled out and did a 1000 piece jigsaw something we haven't done in years. I didn't worry that officially I was working as I always work extra hours to get the job done. It was soothing in troubled times. I call days like yesterday my mental health days as we all need to just power down at times.

Debbie said...

Wonderful colors...just what I expect from you. Of course the weavings are so special. I love them. It is fine to have these different feelings and emotions.....it is being real. Our lives have been altered...and yes, we will survive! Sew on :)

Barb said...

You have been busy....love the quilt.....keep on a trucking

Kathleen said...

It sure is harder some days than others. I find the dark and rainy days so much tougher. That quilt will be lovely when you quilt the life into it and the weaving is gorgeous! Here's praying that things ease up in some ways for you, whatever that means.