Sunday, April 26, 2020

Creative Questions

As you may have noticed, I haven't been posting a lot lately.  This time of enforced alone time has affected  people in many different ways.  Some have been very driven creatively.  Others of us have switched gears a bit and are doing different things. 

As an introvert, I expected to be just fine and have most everything "as usual."  But, I found out differently.   I am not unhappy or depressed.  I am just "in a different place" mentally.   One thing that has helped a lot is music.  I have been playing my ukulele - sometimes outside on the front steps - sometimes in my living room. 

I have always loved a variety of musical instruments. Over the years I have had keyboards, a guitar, claves, an afuché, pennywhistles, native American flutes, a recorder, a kalimba, harmonicas, and probably some others that I have forgotten. 

A couple that have always fascinated me are the Appalachian dulcimer (aka mountain dulcimer) and the autoharp (and dare I mention the accordion?)  So, I finally decided to get an autoharp to play with.
The autoharp has 36 or 37 strings depending on the make.  It can have different numbers of chords/chord bars but 15 or 21 are most common.  The one I am getting has 21 - which allows for a wider variety of songs to be played on it. 

The downside to buying one online is that you have to tune it yourself.  This means daily tuning for about two weeks until the strings "settle."  Then it is normal to have to tune occasionally as the humidity/ temperature changes - like any stringed instrument.

Honestly I am looking forward to the arrival - Wednesday or Thursday.  But don't expect to hear me playing it any time soon. 

How has your creativity changed (or not) during this time of quarantine?   Remember to judge yourself kindly.  We all have different mindsets and ways of coping.  If you are blocked creatively, just watch some youtube videos that make you smile or at least forget the current situation.  Give yourself a break and carry on as best you can.  And if you need someone to talk to email a friend or two or three until you find one that is there for you. 
And remember to breathe slowly and deeply - and just relax...we will make it through this.

Until Next Time,  
Hang in there! 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oooh - something NEW and FUN for you to play with!! Take your time tuning it - we'll be here when you're ready. We're in no hurry - and we're sure not going anywhere - LOL.

This stay-at-home thing is fine with me - I'm a home-body anyway - and can find lots of things to keep me busy. Quilting keeps me sane - and there seems to be no end to the paperwork - haha. Emailing a friend or two is a GREAT way to spend time "socializing" while maintaining a "safe" distance - ;))

One of the new YouTube things that I have discovered is "Dry Bar Comedy" - hilarious routines with no profanity - good stuff - ;))

Vicki W said...

Ooooh, a new instrument. How exciting! I'm actually getting a little tired of creating. I'm desperate for a long hike but the weather hasn't permitted so far.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm still working at least one day a week (this week I get to work 3 days). I'm also the 'pick up' lady for my little guild that is making face masks for health care workers. I spend lots of time driving around picking up masks and dropping off kits or elastic. I seem to get out at least 5 days a week. I'd rather spend several days at home instead. With all that, this hasn't bothered me like it has other people. I even support local restaurants when I get out to pick up masks (hubby likes that, since I bring him lunch). Have fun learning your new instrument.

Jeanna said...

My husband ordered a new guitar and did the same tuning process you described. I work from home so my routine hasn't changed much except that we are 'grounded' and aren't doing our normal traveling (flying nor camping). I've used that time to work on cross stitch and quilting. It feels good to have both going and I'm starting to blog again. You've given some really good advice, Gene. Keeping in touch with friends is important...for you and them!

Kathleen said...

Enjoy your new toy! I think this makes total sense...looking for a new invigorating distraction. I also find new tasks energizing in ways I don't expect and some old tasks become enjoyable again as they become mindless. Can't wait to hear what you learn (in the fullness of time).

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Gene,
You are still being creative!!!
And, I do hope that you show us your beginning attempts ... that way, later, you can say "look how I've improved!"
Happy learning & tuning! :-)

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, I do not have one musical bone or muscle in my body, so I have to keep making art. Forcing myself to sketch and paint. Quilting is joy always, but I could use some more fabric. Isolation is hard on me. I am not an introvert and can't help it.