Saturday, April 11, 2020

Placemat Challenge - My Entry

Over at "From My Carolina Home" there is a challenge that Carole has created.  It is pretty simple, you just sew a placemat.  She has several options off what you can do with it.  She is collecting them for her local "Meals on Wheels."  That is a great way to bring joy to the person that receives it with their delivered meal.  OR  you can donate it locally. OR  you can keep it for yourself.
Personally, I haven't decided which I will do yet.

But sew a placemat, I did!  I chose some lovely strips of Island Batik fabrics from my magical bin of batiks.  then I just played. I started by sewing a few strips together.  They I started cutting some strips from at strip set.  And then the fun of "I wonder if...." began.   It wasn't long until the front was finished.

Then I had to decide on a backing.  I still had a nice chunk of the strip set left..but it didn't fit. Hmmmm.. but if.....
Yes, cut of a strip and rearrange it to make it work with another added strip or two.

And that makes it delightfully double sided.   Then, as you can see in the photos, I did some fun free motion quilting all over it, pulled another chunk of Island Batik and made the binding.

There are some fun prizes provided by the talented fabric dye studio Colorways by Vicki (Vicki Welsh.)  I cordially invite you to join in the fun and make a placemat or two- or more.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My little guild makes 100 placemats each year for Meals on Wheels. One side is Christmas and the other side is neutral (non-holiday), so that they can use it all year round. We've been doing this for about 6 years now. I keep giving out some of my Christmas fabrics to some of the ladies, and after so long, my Christmas bins (yes, I have 2 large bins of Christmas fabrics) are finally starting to not be full.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

That is a lovely placemat - with some lovely quilting! Bet you can't make just one - LOL - ;))

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Excellent!! Thank you for participating!!

Kathleen said...

That is a fun placemat. I love the idea of this challenge....probably won't get to join in but I love seeing what people create.