Tuesday, February 01, 2022

Panel One- Adding to the Scrappy Quilt

I had a one day sewing binge yesterday.  I have decided to add panels on each side of the scrappy "Party Time" quilt.   I decided to use a unifying fabric to tie the sides together.  I also wanted one that would pull in some fabrics from the center panel.  I decided on a lime yellow/green.  It is bright and pretty.  The bonus is that this makes it a "green" quilt, a first (I think) for me. 
Since the panel is long and almost impossible to photograph easily, I decided to show it in sections. 



In keeping with the original plan for this quilt the only standard size I used is the ten inch width.  I used some already pieced chunks of fabric.  Some of them needed tp be trimmed and some needed fabric added. I made sure to have some curved piecing,  odd angles and a variety of fabrics.  The green and tan curved block is made from a mask that I didn't like. So I cut it up and used the pieces for quilting. 

You may spot an abstract log cabin in the mix.  I even spot a piece of fabric from the second quilt top that I ever made that found its way into this part of the quilt.  I think I used another scrap of it in the big center section.  I think that is one of the fun aspects of scrap quilting.  There are memories of other quilts and other times in your life as a quilt artist.   

Now, I will need to make another panel the same width and length as this (more or less.) This one is a couple of inches too long but that is okay.  Once it is backed and quilted, that will give me a creative design choice. 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

3 comments:

Jeanna said...

The new panels are looking great, Gene. I totally see a mask in the first photo :)

YOU are a quilt artist...I am a quilt maker...follow a pattern with NO creativity of my own at all! But it's still fun.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE this panel - it will be a great addition - and I also LOVE the memories of other quilts that show us in scrappy quilts - ;))

Quilting Gail said...

This will look fantastic with the rest of your quilt!