Thursday, February 03, 2022

Weaving on Hand Dyed Warp

Way back in November of 2020, I  hand dyed a warp and put it on my loom.  I had every intention of weaving the entire thing with only black weft (the threads that go across the warp.)  I did weave on it for a while and yes, it is pretty.  
With Black Weft

But, I get bored weaving with only one color, so today when I finally started back on it, I finished off the bobbin of black and decided to use a blue tone similar to the turquoise dyed sections.  I did weave one full bobbin of it. 
Blue/Turquoise weft used.

What I noticed, and you may also, is that the black makes the colors appear more vivid, while the blue (or really any medium to light color) mutes those colors.  
Quilters, take note:  This is why a black background makes your quilts really pop with color. 

Here is a picture of the next section I will be weaving - and yes I am thinking seriously of using black weft once again. 

Just for fun, I took a picture of the warp from the back of the loom also.
I love how the colors merge and blend where they meet on the warp. The white bits are where the warp was tied up for dyeing.  The ties create a resist, causing those bits to not get dyed.  I consider that a bonus feature. 

The two panels for the Party Time (scrappy) quilt are finished and waiting.  I don't have a picture to share as we are having a very rainy day.  Hopefully I can get a photo of them soon. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

This post is definitely about weaving, but perhaps even more than that it’s about color. It’s a gift to appreciate color so much, and to have unending fun experimenting with it. Color is my weakest area. I know I have other artistic strengths and fun with them, but I envy your instant awareness and appreciation of the limitless things color can do! The woven cloth is beautiful!

Marlene said...

Beautiful warp Gene. I tend to use a lot of colour and grist variations in my weavings, but I also love to weave an entire warp off with just one weft choice at times. It goes so FAST when one isn't constantly changing out bobbins.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

BEAUTIFUL weaving - and a nice explanation of how black makes colors pop - ;))

Kathleen said...

This is so much fun. I love the black weft but I also love the blue weft. It is fun to see how it changes the warp and melds into one - from a non-weaver!

Jeanna said...

Your creative talents are endless, Gene. This piece will make something nice...any ideas?