Sunday, November 08, 2009

Gene’s Easy Almost Vegetarian Vegetable Stew

I was inspired by my friend the Petit Debutant after her "What's for Dinner?" post.

I made up this recipe as I was going. The next day I did a "lab write-up" to keep since it was so easy AND so mmm mmm GOOD. You can adjust this in many ways. It would be easy to make it completely vegetarian OR to really add some meat and make it a carnivore's delight. I am thinking it will be a vehicle for leftover Thanksgiving turkey in some homes. (It would make an EXCELLENT disguise for the leftover turkey)

Here is my easy, "open some cans and 'cook'" recipe.

Gene’s Easy Almost Vegetarian Vegetable Stew

Dice a whole onion, brown in olive oil.
Set cooktop to medium heat.
Add one can of low sodium beef broth. (chicken or turkey or vegetable stock are other options)
Add one can diced tomatoes and green chilies. (if you prefer substitute plain diced tomatoes)
Add one can mixed vegetables –drained
Add one can kidney beans –rinsed and drained
Add one can small white potatoes cut up as desired
Add one heaping teaspoon minced garlic –to taste

Other vegetables may be added as desired.
If desired add one-half cup red wine to add another layer of flavor. (I Love adding red wine in anything with tomatoes)
Cook until flavor develops.

Any ingredient you dislike may be substituted with another vegetable you do like. I would think that fresh broccoli added near the end of cooking so that is remains slightly crisp, would be an excellent addition. A small amount of lean beef or ham or diced turkey would be good to add protein.

For my second rendition, I used chicken stock (because I was out of beef broth) and added some oregano and some lime juice - just to add a different kick. I also had some meatballs that I quartered and tossed it.

Gene’s Easy Almost Vegetarian Vegetable Stew

You know, I posted about a similar stew I made back in Sept/Oct...oh well. Now it is in recipe format for you. LOL

10 comments:

Pat said...

Sounds easy AND delicious...two things that work very well for me! :)

ooglebloops said...

In a word - YUM!!!! :>)

Love your painting in the previous post !!!

Anonymous said...

"Almost" is good enough for me. Thanks!

quiltingnana said...

makes me hungry....maybe I'll give it a go

quiltingnana said...

makes me hungry....maybe I'll give it a go

Barb said...

Looks good

Chris said...

It looks so good I can almost taste it.

Petit Design Co. said...

that does look good! Now we just have to wait for it to cool down again. Thanks for the shout out!

julia said...

Looks delicious and just right on a cool fall night.

Chris H said...

Looks totally yum! I put tins (cans) of stuff in my soups too.