Sunday, November 15, 2009

Quilted -Free Motion Delight

Today I took the runner from yesterday's post and had a wonderful time quilting it.  I did my version of free motion quilting. It is part meandering/stippling and part drawing with the needle.  As in all my work it is heavily influenced by abstraction.  You can click on the pictures to see them bigger.  Just use that back button on your browser to get back here.  I don't want you leaving before I am done! LOL



















I did this little loopy border around the edges, just because.
I love using an ecru thread over dark fabric to quilt. It makes the stitches really pop. The down side to that is that every mistake is highlighted too.  Such is life.  Risk is like salt, without it life is bland, but if you overdo it, it can be dangerous.



Ooops, I see fuzz on that burgundy...... well it needs washed to make it crinkly and soft anyway.

I clicked on these pictures - to check them out and found several "birds" in my quilting designs.  They were totally subconscious renderings. I did intend some other shapes that didn't come out so well, but the birds look intentional.   My subconscious is a strange place!

Barbara asked (in comments) if I drop the feed dogs, the answer is Yes I do!   I emailed Barbara, but I thought I would let everyone else know right here.

10 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Very nice!!
Yuu have been very busy!

Pat said...

You and BABY are really doing a great job with quilting things!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...like the beading I've been enjoying this is "improvisational" quilting. One question, are you dropping the feed dogs for quilting by machine (or did I ask that once before?).

ooglebloops said...

Beautiful job!! I have never quite gotten the hang of this - altho not for lack of trying. Maybe I need a different machine. Your pix make me want to give it another try!!! Is this quilt a keeper?

Needled Mom said...

It looks like you had fun coloring!

Unknown said...

your free motion looks great........

quiltmom anna said...

You are getting the rhythm of free motion quilting Gene- Isn't it fun? Your quilts are looking great! Having the feed dogs down makes it so much easier to quilt.

Happy quilting!
Regards,
Anna

Anonymous said...

This looks like so much fun. I love seeing the pictures!

Chris H said...

I am not very good at free motion... YET! Yours look fab!

Miri said...

Great free design table runner and I love the free motion quilting!
BTW, I always used to free motion with my feed dogs down but now I've switched-I find it easier and feel I have more control with the feed dogs up-funny, huh!