Monday, June 14, 2010

Blocks and Soap and Fabric and Painting

Blocks and Soap and Fabric and Painting! What do all of those have in common?  Well mostly that is what I am posting pictures of today. Ha ha.

Blocks
I have been making these rail fence blocks from strips I cut with the Go! cutter.
(singing) "Red and yellow, green and tan, working on a master plan, Oh, I'm loving sewing these strip blocks"


I am trying to come up with a layout for it.  They are so easy to do with the strips.  Just sew two strips together, then the other two and join in the middle.  Square up the end and cut into blocks - these are all 8 1/2"  squares. I have 22 of them so far.








Soap


I won this from Old Red Barn Co.   Mmmmmmmm it smells so GOOOD!!!!! It is Bulgarian Lavendar goat milk soap. My skin will  love this! This is a good sized bar too.

Thanks Dana! (yes Dana, it was 100 degrees here today! So it got hot...and as GOOD soap does, it sweated some glycerin and mussed the label.)

Oh yeah, she sells this stuff too!  Maybe you would like some for yourself, I am not sharing mine!

Fabric


I couldn't resist!  It was such a deal. !00% cotton quilt weight fabric.  There is a yard of the two on the left. The light blue floral-y one?  Almost four yards!!!
Total price with tax :  Gee, I don't think I should torture you with that info ( $7.58 )

Could you have resisted?  I mean I need lots of practice using that Go cutter, right?
Painting
Am I dreaming
One of my abstracts using a layering technique.  Some of the light, almost floating, "designs" you see are from stamps I have carved. I love using my own stamps in the work because it makes it more "mine" than using purchased stamps for texture.

11 comments:

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

Oh dear!! Look at that messy soap label. It must have sat in a hot mail truck and got all sweaty. Ugh.

Glad you like it!

Rhonda said...

Gene you are such a talented guy!!!!! I love the artwork!!!!
No, I don't blame you for buying that fabric....one can't have enough fabric to practice cutting and sewing with.....hehehehehehe

Pat said...

GREAT things you have shown us here. Where did you get such a good buy on fabric???

Heidi said...

ohh.. that soap sounds wonderful. And the colors in that painting are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Short on time here, but I must comment on your painting. I see what I think is an opera house -- too funny since I've never been inside one, but that's what I see. ;) It's lovely!

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Your painting is beautiful! I love the colors.

Barb said...

That painting is sooooooooooooooooo amazing...

Greg said...

Now you need to combine the soap, fabric and painting into 1 project.... Ready? Set!!! Accuquilt GO!!!! If you run out of fabric and need more practice cutting let me know I can send you some so I can start yet more projects!!! Really like the painting BTW..

SewCalGal said...

Love your painted fabric. Great job!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

sewfunquilts said...

Congrats on your win of the soap! Glad you posted a pic of the fabrics you told me about. Fantastic buy you got on them.

BUT.....Gene! That painting is absolutely astounding! Is it on canvas or fabrics? You really need to mount it/frame it..or something?? Are you going to sell it?

Unknown said...

I love the painting...the deep colors are really nice.....