Thursday, June 17, 2010

Let's Go Tumbling - and a Rednek Device

I got a couple of packages in the mail today.  One of them I have been itching to try.  I did a layout in Electric Quilt (5) so I could get an idea.  Oh, you want to know what I got?  I got a Tumbler die for my AccuQuilt Go cutter.
So here is the EQ layout using solid colors:

















Then here is a picture of some of the blocks I cut and sewed into rows. The rows aren't joined yet.  I still need to make a few more first. I want to have all the rows complete before I start joining.












Of course the layout was solids and I used prints.But I think they "read" as solids.

Now the "rednek' device. You see Barb  showed her redneck seam ripper holder. I commented that it was as bad as my "cone spool holder"  She told me she had to see it. So here goes- I needed a cone spool holder for my first electronic sewing machine. I didn't want to buy one (cheap cheap!) So I took a wood blank and a wire coat hanger and a construction stapler and made one.  (and by the way, I am watching a Joan Crawford movie tonite! hehehee "No wire hangers!!!"  (mommy dearest) but the movie is really Mildred Pierce)

So here is the picture:

Hey, it works! Maybe it isn't the prettiest girl in the class..but it only cost me a few minutes with the pliers and stapler.

Are ya happy now Barb????

10 comments:

Nancy said...

oh...pat got that same die and she said I could send her some fabric and she would cut them for me...so there!! can't wait to get my act together and get those strips cut...lol

limpingalong said...

Funny -- I just loaded my EQ5 onto my laptop and was trying to find a block for the tumbler design.
Couldn't find one -- am not familiar enough with this pattern to draw it -- don't know the sizes of the sides. I am envious of the new cutter!

Barb said...

That is not bad, it is awesome....well..you can add me to the cheap list!

SewCalGal said...

Fun post. I love your tumbler quilt. I so want a tumbler die....but then I have a thousand ideas for dies that I want too! But a tumbler would certainly be fun and a great way to use up my stash!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

quiltingnana said...

cone holder is very practical...love those old movies!!!

Vicki W said...

That's not as bad as what I have used - I cut the bottom off of a 2 liter soda bottle. I set the bottle over the cone and run the thread through the top opening. It works great!

Patty said...

tumblers look good the thread holder is in-gene-oius lol

Pat said...

You are just TOO clever, Gene. (Can you tell me where I can find the tumbler block in EQ so I can do this, too????? Thanks!)

Michele said...

Hello from Texas,

I was scrolling back in your posts, and I just have to ask if you have a whole room just for ironing? You referred to your "ironing room"....I've heard of gift wrapping rooms (why?) but never an ironing room. PS I'm so bad I only iron when quilting...don't tell anyone, ok? Michele

Betsy said...

your thread holder does not look bad at all and your tumber quilt is coming along nicely.