Saturday, June 19, 2010

Tumbler Update

The tumbler quilt it coming along. I made a mistake  Artistic Design Choice and changed the layout.  I think I like this a lot better.  What do YOU think?   Only four rows are joined.  The others are just laying there.  I must say that my quarter inch seams need to be more exact. Yikes, now I can't blame the cutting. The AccuQuilt Go! cutter cuts the perfectly with no dog-ears to trim away.

 Wait, I know, the fabric stretched! Yeah, that's it. heeee heee.

Several people asked how I did the Tumblers in Electric Quilt.  Remember mine is version FIVE so if you have a newer one it may be different. 
I had a heck of a time finding the Tumbler on EQ5.  Thank Goodness for HELP. 

Start a NEW Design, 
First Click on  QUILT -> then -> NEW QUILT->then ->  ONE PATCH QUILT  ---- then mine gives a hexagon.  ARRRGH...but here is the secret. Click on the layout tab at the bottom. Then in the little window click the drop down on Patch Style...scroll down till you see Tumblers.  Adjust the layout for number of rows and columns and have at it. 
 Screen Captures below:


13 comments:

Nancy said...

put some eyes and a long tongue on there and they will look like yellow and green snakes!! lol

Pat said...

You can find the tumbler the exact same way on EQ7, for any who might inquire about that. I found I need to adjust my 1/4 inch a tad to the scant side when joining HST's cut with the cutter. I can still make it work if I forget to do that, but it's more exact if I do that with just the triangles. Isn't this FUN???

Vicki W said...

That's going to be a really cute quilt!

Just JaiCi's Crafts said...

I just love that you called it an "Artistic Design Choice"...you make me laugh
I can't wait to see the finished product...it'll be amazing, for sure :)

SewCalGal said...

Very cute. And I love your Artistic Design Choice too!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Lynda said...

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!! I have just about done my head in look for tumblers in EQ!!!!!

Micki said...

Your tumbler quilt is going to be so nice...Neat how you did it in EQ. I should be getting my EQ7 any day now, so will check it out.
Micki

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, I'm having trouble with the posts about all the hi-tech cutters and computer programs. One of the most relaxing things about quiltmaking for me is cutting fabric -- that 'swishing' sound of the cutter going through the layers sounds nice to me. Plus, if I used a program to plan projects, I'd be sitting at the computer too much, I just know it. So...while you guys are getting beautiful results with your new cutters and programs, I'm going to continue to plod along the old-fashioned way. However, I'm sure you will all have much more for "show and tell"! Gene, your tumbler rows that are already joined look good, and I think the quarter-inch seams of the other rows will be more exact when they are joined. I love the snake interpretation! :)

Patty said...

Thanks for heads up about the EQ, I just got EQ& and just started playing with it = so far I like what I'm doing.Tumblers are coming along just fine.

Rhonda said...

Tumbler quilts are always fun and a great way to get rid of.....I mean use some of those scraps we all have lying around or getting to buy a line of afbrics you've always wanted...hehehehehe. Looking good Gene!

BROOKE said...

On the 1/4 inch seams - I blame my 1/4" foot guide. I think it's bent. So my seams are always wiggly. LOL!

Sharlee said...

Very nice love your color choices!!!

sewfunquilts said...

Fun stuff, Gene, now get off EQ and do some more sewing! lol.