Sunday, June 20, 2010

Top Finished- Finito!!!

My tumbler quilt top is finished. I took the picture before I trimmed the edges, but now it is ready for layering and quilting. WOW Fast!  Those quarter inch seams were much better than I thought. Most of it matched up really well at the seams.  I suppose it just  looked off   in the picture before it was joined. Yaay!






















This was less than 48 hours in the making from the first cut of the fabric to trimming the edges.  I started on Thursday night cutting the fabrics.  The Go die arrived on Thursday so I had it when I got home from work. I had to do my chores first but then I got on EQ and did the layout. Then I picked the fabrics and started cutting.  I did iron the fabric first, as I find that makes for better cuts and better sewing.  I cut a number of shapes and sewed four rows.  (I did not join them yet) That gave me an idea how many more cut shapes I needed to get the size I wanted. So I cut more...too many more - I have leftovers! I am thinking a matching pillow or maybe a table runner.
Friday night, after work I sewed a couple more rows after doing the "have to's" and going out to dinner.  On Saturday, I sewed some in the morning but we had a get together for lunch...so that was some interruption. We stopped at the hardware store for some poison ivy and brush weed killer I needed, then back home where I sewed and joined the final rows and had this picture taken.

After a rest, I trimmed the edges.  It is now folded and patiently waiting for batting, backing and finishing.

With all the different things I had to fit in the Tumbler top was done in less than two days.  Suppose I had cut this from a template???  yeah, I would still be cutting - or maybe I would have given up!
I love my Go! If you are on a limited time basis with your quilting, it can really speed things up.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just knew those seams would match up well, very nice finish!!

Bunny said...

Good for you. Looks great and I think you had fun doing it too. Have to look into one of those cutters.

ooglebloops said...

You and Pat are great advertising for GO!! I think they should put you on a commission basis - or at least more free product!!! Love the quilt!!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Terrific! Making gooood use of the Go! I see.

Pat

Royce said...

Great quilt and yes you would have been days cutting it the "old fashion way". My friend has a GO and I bought the drunkards path last month and cut a whole quilt with 4 fabrics in less than an hour! Is it not the most wonderful invention since the sewing machine itself. So happy you have one.

luv2quilt2 said...

The quilt top looks great! Unfortunately for me, I doubt that I'll ever have a GO!

Nancy said...

well, i will never have a GO of my own, but I am wondering... Since you can cut so fast are you going to end up with flimsy overload?? At some point should we search for you if we don't hear form you for a few days? Will you be on "Hoarders"??

Unknown said...

I love this quilt top and most of all, love the word Finito..........lol

SewCalGal said...

Even I'm amazed how fast you made this quilt. Great job!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Sharlee said...

I already posted how I love your colors, however I also meant to tell how beautiful your pattern design of your tumblers are.. I have not made the tumbler die yet but it is on my many list to do!!!!

Pat said...

I loved working with the tumbler die. I am sure I will have to watch about "flimsy overload", but I am thinking I am going to cut down a lot of my stash into things I'd want to use....squares, HST's, for example...and put them in baggies and then I can design things on EQ and have the pieces already cut and waiting...and I can make up kits for myself that way.

Barb said...

You would still be cutting...

Great colors...

Patty said...

Great job Gene. I'm impressed with everything you had to do in between sewing. Great finish.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Love the colors and design of your tumbler quilt. I've attempted one tumbler quilt (without a go) and became frustrated quickly. I don't think my cuts were perfect because I couldn't get it to all line up nicely.

sewfunquilts said...

WoW! awesome..that is wonderful..so fast. Can hardly wait to get my GO..

Rhonda said...

Great job Gene! Love it!