Friday, June 04, 2010

My Go! has arrived! Happy cutting!

I got a call that my big package had arrived.  So I took off work a bit early.  Actually two packages had arrived. One of them I had already tracked and knew it was at my door.  But for the GO! cutter I didn't have tracking info. So I had someone watching and waiting to call me when  a box arrived with the word ACCUQUILT on the side.
I got there and saw this box (which I sat in my recliner for the photo)



Inside this box was THIS Box!


And you can tell  how I felt about it:

 HAPPY!

The other box I didn't take photos of.  Inside it were some extra dies I had ordered - because I am impatient!
The dies are the Star cutter, 2 1/2 inch strip cutter and 5 inch square cutter. 
I cut some squares, then I ironed some fusible on the back of a contrasting fabric and cut some stars. 
I ironed the stars on the squares like this:



All I need to do is sew around the edges and these are ready to piece into something!  How fun is that????
I am thinking red strips around the blocks for a Fourth of  July table runner.  Does that sound good to you? 
I have not used the strip cutter yet..but I will soon enough. 

Now, I have to tell on myself.  I boo booed.  Oh, yes I do make mistakes.  But you see I don't care if you laugh at me, because I am laughing too.  And I want you to learn from my mistakes. 

I used MistyFuse as the fusible. (no I did NOT iron it to my iron!)  I used the teflon sheet to fuse so I could just peel it off and be ready to cut.  But I fan folded the fabric.  Oooops.   The pressure from running the fusible to fusible through the Go! caused it to meld together. Not gonna do that again. Luckily I still had some fabric with MistyFuse on it.  So I took some wax paper and layered it with the fabric. That put the fusible to an relatively non-stick surface. I rolled it through and lifted the mat.  Lovely stars with wax paper backings. Did I goof again?!??!?!?   Ha nope, it peeled off easily.  Lesson learned. And you see the results above. 
The largest star will fit on a 5 inch square but I am wondering if I will catch the points in the seam allowances. The two smaller stars go perfectly on he 5 inch square and the smallest would work on the 4 1/2 inch that comes with the Go! 
Okay.  So now I am thinking I need hearts and circles and...ALL the other dies they make for the Go!  And after seeing what Barb has done with the tumbler die, I really want it too. Oh yeah, and the tumbler quilt on the box just feeds that desire. 
First day, first use rating of the Accuquilt Go! ---Two thumbs WAAAAAY Up! 

14 comments:

LINDA BYLSMA said...

Oh, you lucky, happy guy. You did exactly what I would have, so now in the small chance that I win a GO, I'll know how to do the fusibles. Keep cutting!

PaTcHwOrK jEnN said...

Congrats! It looks like you are having fun. Thanks for sharing about the mistyfuse.

Joanne Lendaro said...

Already wanting more?!?!?!? hahaha!!

(said the one that had dies before the machine!)

luv2quilt2 said...

Isn't that just how we always are? We get what we want, but still want more. Congratulations!!

Rhonda said...

Alright Gene, you're off and running!

Micki said...

How excited you ust have been! Congrats and enjoy!
Micki

quiltingnana said...

sounds like you really are enjoying it!!! Expect to see lots of new projects on your blog

Barb said...

I love your picture with the "GO", that is worth a million dollars.....

carmel said...

you look so happy!
i just wanted to say big congrats on the win!
what a great thing!!!!

Pat said...

GREAT photo of you!!!! I have to admit I wasn't quite following what you did when you were explaining your boo-boo.....but it's been a long day and I"m tired, so maybe my brain was taking a break!!! LOL GOOD idea you have for the 4th of July runner!!! (Guess you can use the strip cutter for those red "stripes")

Greg said...

Nice pics Gene!! I'm glad you're enjoying the GO! Maybe if you send the pic of you with the box you can be the cover model... How cool would THAT be??

sewfunquilts said...

What a Happy Day and great picture of you!

I'll say it again..just for fun!
Hello, my name is Judy, and I'm a wannabe GO CUTTERholic!

Tangos Treasures said...

tee hee you crack me up!!
Have fun!!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

WooHoo it made it! I would have done the same thing with the fusible. You have saved many of us from a similar mistake, thank you!

Love the stars. I hear there are even more dies coming out soon.