Saturday, June 05, 2010

July 4thMini Quilt



This is a mini quilt I made using fabric cut with my AccuQuilt Go! cutter. I used Stars, Five inch Squares and Two and a half inch strips.

First I cut out the blue squares, then the yellow stars which were backed with fusible. I ironed the stars onto the blue squares and then I used various stitches on my machine to sew them down in a funky raw edge applique style. Next I cut the red Five inch Squares and the Two and a half inch strips. The assembly was so easy. I will say that I noticed that the stitches around the stars slightly "shrank" my blue squares. So be aware of that if you try this.

I think this will be a great table topper for the Fourth of July (American Independence Day.) But it is also so happy and fun that it will work all year. (I am thinking just add a green tablecloth under it and it is ready for Christmas too!)
The cutting was much easier thanks to my Accuquilt Go! cutter.
Man, I need that tumbler die!!! It is on my "wish" list.

10 comments:

Nancy said...

yea, stop rubbing it in... lol

Cute tablerunner.

Barb said...

So cute!!! Yep, the "GO" makes it sooo fun and fast...

Pat said...

....ditto to what Nancy said.....LOL (Nice runner, though!)

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Nice mini quilt. Raw applique does draw in your fabric and "shrink" it a bit. Sometimes you can stop that from happening by using a stabilizer on the back. It is recommended to use a stabilizer any time you machine embroider whether it is a design or an applique. I find that if the applique is large than I'm usually OK without a stabilizer but if it is a small to medium piece or there are a lot of turns than it is best to use a stabilizer.

luv2quilt2 said...

Good to see that you're making good use of your new toy. I want to play too!

Rhonda said...

Great mini quilt. That cutter is smokin'!!!!

Unknown said...

great mini, love the stars

Anonymous said...

Very cute and how wonderful that it came together so quickly with the new cutter! Can't imagine that happening if you had to cut and piece all those stars.

Patty said...

Very cute quilt. The more I see of this Go the more I'm thinking I want one. Happy sewing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Gene...question for you. Are the 5" cuts EXACTLY 5" or more like 4 7/8"?
I may not get your reply until I get back from beach but I was curious...I heard they are not true5"