Monday, November 08, 2010

Basting and Quilting

It has been a few days since have showed anything I am working on.  There are several reasons.  The first one is that I have been a lazy blogger.   The second is that I am working on a quilt that I made the top for quite a while back.  So I kinda had a moment of shame, then I thought "why."  Do you have tops or "flimsys" as they are called that you have made and are unquilted?  If you don't - well I am not sure to applaud you for being so conscientious or to wonder if you just haven't been doing much quilting.  Ha ha.
Anyway, this past Saturday I squared up the top I had made in the Jelly Roll quilt along. I finished the top in August. So it has been waiting for 3 months. I decided I needed another lap quilt for the sale.  I layered it and basted it with the "bent" quilters safety pins.  I keep them in a plastic container and they are all open and ready to use.  Here is a picture of them.
You really can't see how "bent" it is in this picture, but the bend makes it easier to fasten them when you are basting AND to open them when you need them out of the way while you are quilting. 

Arrgh , I couldn't stand it.  I want you to see the pins better:
See that bend? It is so much easier to baste with that curve in the pin!

Tonight I finished quilting  this top. (unless I decide to add more later)  Right now I am planning to trim it as is and bind it. 
Here it is all quilted:


As you can see, I used a simple muslin backing and the quilting is all straight lines with the walking foot. The open areas are at most 6 inches.  Since the batting states "leave up to 10 inches open"   I think it is enough quilting. Unless I get a burr under my saddle and need to add more, it is quilted.

Now, what will I start on next?  (oh wait, I do have to bind this...)

Edited to add:
Joanne wants to see the entire top so here it is pre-quilting

Jelly Roll Quilt Along Quilt top


.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

cause I really don't know, did you "bent" bend them all, or do they come like that, I always wondered what could make them easier to go on and off, now I know

Melissa ;-) said...

Oh, Gene, I really love the colors in that quilt and i like the quilting as is (as much as I can see of it). I don't have unfinished quilts laying around. Once I start one, I have to finish it, tear it apart, find a new home for it, or trash it if it is beyond repair. I'm just obsessive like that!

Jandi said...

Don't try to show me up by getting everything bound before starting your next project. I currently have no less than 10 quilts waiting impatiently for binding. Maybe a bit of snow will motivate me!

Trudi said...

LOL, gosh only 3 motnhs! (I dare not confess how many I have waiting to be quilted! AND I have several (shall we leave it at that!) waiting to be bound!) Looks like a gret finish no matter how long it takes! Beautiful!

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow your moving right along! I'll have to get some of those pins.

Joanne Lendaro said...

Those pins are the best! I have a ton of them...dont' use them too often any more, but when I do, LOVE them!! how about showing the entire quilt???

ooglebloops said...

Love that quilt - and the pins- thanks for the close-up!!:>)
I have never heard the term "flimsy" I like it!!!

Theodora quilts said...

first of all can I just take regular safety pins and bend them that shape? what do you think,and the quilt is just beautiful ,are you going to sell it? and how much? just curious,happy quilting,theodora

luv2quilt2 said...

Your quilt looks great. I also have ton of those bent pins which all get used each time I get ready to baste a quilt.

Pat said...

Oh, have no fear...I have many quilt tops waiting to be quilted. *sigh* That is because I am never happy with the kind of quilting I can do myself on my machine....and can't often afford to send them off to the long-armer, so....they sit and sit and sit!!!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I love my bent pins. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who stores them in the open position. I use a grapefruit spoon to help close them while basting, saves the finger tips. Love the quilt with all of its different blocks!

Anonymous said...

love that top!!

GeeGee said...

I also use the quilter's pins for basting. All of my tops are quilted & bound. I do have some blocks (including the jelly roll blocks) that need to be set but will have to wait until after the Holidays. In the meantime trying to catch up on my BOM's and make the layer cake blocks. Your block #1 was so easy and I love the result. By the way, your jelly roll quilt is lovely!!