Sunday, November 14, 2010

How old are you? Thoughts on aging

How old are you?  How old am I?  Does age matter much?



One of my online blogger friends, Wanda, is having a birthday today. She says "I have decided that my age is "ageless" in case anyone asks. "  I think that is a good answer. But it got me to thinking and I remembered reading this:
"I am still every age that I have been. Because I was once a child, I am always a child. Because I was once a searching adolescent, given to moods and ecstasies, these are still part of me, and always will be... This does not mean that I ought to be trapped or enclosed in any of these ages...the delayed adolescent, the childish adult, but that they are in me to be drawn on; to forget is a form of suicide... Far too many people misunderstand what *putting away childish things* means, and think that forgetting what it is like to think and feel and touch and smell and taste and see and hear like a three-year-old or a thirteen-year-old or a twenty-three-year-old means being grownup. When I'm with these people I, like the kids, feel that if this is what it means to be a grown-up, then I don't ever want to be one. Instead of which, if I can retain a child's awareness and joy, and *be* fifty-one, then I will really learn what it means to be grownup."
— Madeleine L'Engle



By Jove, I won't grow up if it means losing those parts of me. I love being a child in excitement. And trust me when I am really excited and anticipating something good, I am around 5 years old for a bit.  When I go to a party where I don't know many people, sometimes that shy adolescent pops out and I find a corner to "hide" in.  Put me in a play and I am 19 again and sure I can woo the world.  Let me play with a 3 year old and I can get very silly and play and crawl around on the floor. (Not to say I will be able to hop up like that 3 year old - my body is not as flexible as my mind with switching ages.)
So some days I am a teenager, some days I an an "adult" - but mostly I am ageless too. I frequently shock younger people when I tell them my age. The number one response: "I thought you were my age" I am, I have been that age! 
.

12 comments:

Trudi said...

I've always been of the opinion age is a mind over matter issue, - if you don't mind it doesn't matter. But I think I like your version better, I never act my age if I can help it anyway! LOL

Anonymous said...

that is a thought provoking post today! I can live in my past at times....maybe this is the answer to that. LOL

Miss Hillbilly said...

You still didn't say your age. But that's ok. I tend to hide in a crowd as well. I don't like to be up in front of people unless it's a group of teens...then it's no problem. I seemed to have aged mentally. I don't like my kids telling me I act old. Time to be a kid again. Thanks for the reminder!

ooglebloops said...

That is a great quote!! I AM every age I have been, but with the wisdom of an "old" person!!Hopefully!LOL My body does not retain the youth of my mind and I tend to forget that!!!

limpingalong said...

A friend from church recently celebrated her birthday. When the Pastor asked her to tell us her age she said she was "39." Then her friend piped up and said, "But you know she has dyslexia!" Yes, she was 93 and still going strong!

GeeGee said...

I always enjoy your posts but this one really made me chuckle("Let me play with a 3 year old and I can get very silly and play and crawl around on the floor. (Not to say I will be able to hop up like that 3 year old - my body is not as flexible as my mind with switching ages.)" I can certainly relate to that while playing with my grand-children.
Once when I told my grandson I was now a great grandma, his reply was " You've always been a GREAT Grandma!" How cool is that?

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Well said. You are only as old or young as your feel. And, for me, that changes from day to day. But I liked Wandas response too - ageless sounds wonderful to me.

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow, that's a really great question & it's all true! Gotta love that!
Thank you for sharing that, you rock!

quiltingnana said...

when my bones creak, I feel old but when I laugh I feel like there is no better age...love the quote

Kim said...

I do love the writings of Madeleine L'Engle.....it was a sad day when she died.
Age is a funny thing isn't it?
I am a grandmother but when I play with my granddaughter I feel as young as a school girl....age really is a state of mind not the number of wrinkles on our faces.
thanks for the reminder :0)

Happy Sewing

Barb said...

I still feel like I am sixteen....but hopefully, more wise.

Vesuviusmama said...

Madeleine L'Engle is brilliant! So are you!