Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Quilt Along and Mail Call!

Today was busy at work.  I had lots to do for a good part of the day. I love it when the work day goes by and doesn't drag.

I did peek and see that the block had been posted  for the Moose on the Porch Quilts Layer Cake Quilt Along (that is a mouth full) had been posted.   So making it was on my agenda when I got home.
Here is my version:
Layer Cake Block 2

I also got a NICE package in the mail.   Melissa, at Ardeas's Nest had told me that she was sending me a little thank you. She said she was "working on it" so I was thinking "cool something she is making!"
Meanwhile, another friend, named Barb,  has been teasing me about a present she knows I will be getting in the mail soon. She told me that it wasn't from her though.  She also said that I would know when I got it and to let her know.
I love surprises, but man, I was going crazy wondering about it.
So I got a priority mail envelope that was very thick.  I opened it to find this loveliness:


There are seven nice sized pieces of fabric there. It is heavy to the blue side (someone paid attention! LOL I love blue. )












Here are some closeups:
okay...someone was lucky because I can't remember telling either of them how I adore dolphins, but I do. 

The fact that I am a music lover and musician was not lost on these ladies.  I have even considered getting a ukelele, but decided against it -and ordered a penny whistle instead. (and doesn't this fabric make you think of the Elvis movie "Blue Hawaii" ?)


These two are made to go together. Mmmmm. Hibiscus! 
Now isn't this a vibrant red?  I love the flowers in a border like effect. 

And more hibiscus in a blue-green and a burgundy toned red.  

Can you imagine a floral quilt with all this in it? (the dolphins will have to find another  quilt I guess) 

I have some other hibiscus fabrics that I got in Mexico -won't these go nicely into the mix?  (maybe - I will have to put it all together and see. )


You know, I am thinking maybe I can add the dolphins in and make a "Flowering Island Delights" quilt. 



 

11 comments:

Melissa ;-) said...

I am so glad you got it! I knew you love bright colors and I thought you might appreciate the quirkiness in a gift from me through Barb! LOL! Now let's see what lovely you can make from this! Thanks again, Gene!

Barb said...

How fun.....I have had the best time doing this for Melissa and for you Gene, sorry, I had a blast teasing you.

SewCalGal said...

What fun. Beautiful fabrics. Can't wait to see what you create with them. I'm sure it will be spectacular. Glad to know you like blue. Hymm.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Sue said...

Gene, your lovely parcel of fabrics will set you up for a tropical holiday. Aloha and have fun.

Unknown said...

such lovely fabric......

Pat said...

I like your block you made for the quilt-along...and it's always nice to get surprises in the mail.

sewfunquilts said...

Gorgeous fabrics, and so nice of Melissa & Barb to surprise you.

Will be waiting to see what you do with them.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful a floral quilt will be with these beautiful fabrics! I'm looking forward to seeing that. The dolphins have a home here if you don't know what to do with them -- I can already see a "Dolphin Girl" Spirit Doll! :)

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Beautiful fabric! I have some of those prints and they are fun to work with. Enjoy!

Miss Hillbilly said...

Melissa is very generous. She sent me a gift today as well!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I like your version of the quilt along block. You certainly received a nice selection of fabric - lucky you!